“Not very impressed”

Kabab and Curry
Ranked #217 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali, Afghani
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I should note that I have eaten Indian food my whole life in various countries, just so the reader understands my perspective.

Upon arrival, we were seated promptly. We then waited a long time for someone to take our drink order or to fill our water glasses.

We did not have the buffet (lunch only); we were there for dinner. The server was not informative with assisting us in ordering. There was no request as to how we would like our food either cooked (my wife had lamb kabobs) or how spicy we would like it.

We started with lamb samosas. Ground lamb without much seasoning in a light pastry. Not awful, but unexciting.

My wife had lamb (Boti) Kabob. Some of it was OK, some of it was burned to the point where it was inedible. Seasoning was uneven from extremely strong on one piece to non-existent on another. No smoky tandoori taste at all.

I had the chicken Tikka kabob. It was tender in parts and dry in others. Seasoning was mostly salt and there was no smoky taste from the tandoor.

We had a side of Baingan Bharta, or eggplant curry. It was not exciting or well seasoned. Something was out of proportion and again, it lacked the smokiness that characterizes this dish.

Our son had chicken Tikka Masala from the kids menu. It was quite tasty, but far too mild.

The chutneys on the table were very tasty. The bread, regular naan, was very dense and chewy.

Everything was mildly spiced and I did not feel it was an authentic experience. We did not enjoy our meal. We also feel that the servers require some customer service training. They seem nice enough, though. If the prices were halved, value for money would be a factor, however this place is way overpriced (a la carte) for what it is.

I suggest respectfully that those who give this place 5 stars visit Azitra in Briar Creek. It is an altogether superior experience and the cost is about the same. Maybe the management of Kabab & Curry will go there for some tips :)

1  Thank raindance01

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We love Indian food, and being a little far from Cary (where more restaurants are located), we struggle to find good choices. We like Mantra, but it's a little too fancy for us to bring our kids to regularly; Kadhai is very good but the prices are higher than they should be for relatively small portion sizes. Therefore, we were REALLY pleased when we tried Kabab and Curry, a new restaurant that just opened only a month ago, and found it to be a really great option.

The menu is wide and varied - there were some items on it that we've only seen in London Indian restaurants - and all five of us really enjoyed our meals, which included both meat and vegetarian choices. The ambiance is good, though not remarkable; the servers were attentive. As far as price goes, Indian is often more expensive than other cuisines, but Kabab and Curry was reasonable within that context. It isn't a huge restaurant so filled up pretty quickly on the Saturday night that we were there, so plan accordingly. I've been told their lunch buffet

Generally, I think this will be a Go To restaurant for us from now on - my husband has been raving about it since we ate there!