“Funky fun in North Raleigh”
Review of Oliver Twist - CLOSED

Oliver Twist
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Funky fun in North Raleigh”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This restaurant seems more like something you would find in Glenwood South or Five Points than in a strip mall in north Raleigh. It has a very funky decor that makes it fun for a change. The food and drinks were both good. We got there early and had several of the 1/2 price Tapas. There was a savory cheesecake that I cant seem to find on the web menu, but was really good. Our only complaint was that that it was that the savory cheesecake was served with Ritz crackers. The crackers didn't add much to the plate. I think it would have been a better presentation with pita points, or homeade crackers of some kind.
But overall, I will go back for tapas.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Dan S

Durham, North Carolina
“Ladies Night Out”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I went to Oliver Twist with a group of ladies and we had the best time ever. We went to celebrate a birthday. The atmosphere was very relaxed and upscale. I love the look of the place both inside and out. Very clean and adult atmosphere. The food and drinks were great.

• Visited September 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Oliver Twist not really a restaurant”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Oliver Twist is more lounge than restaurant. It is comfortable and nicely decorated. We had 4 tapas and sangria. The best tapas was the cioppino- actually very good seafood stew. We also had spicy bbq shrimp- ok, ceviche- ok and shrimp and gnocchi - very good. It is on the pricy side as the tapas average around 10$ and do not provide a lot of food to make a meal. I think it is best suited for drinking, light eating and live entertainmen - late night. It you know what to expect you can avoid disappointment. We will go back for those three elements.

• Visited August 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not Satisfied - Never to return”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My Friend and I ate there last night. I waited a good 10 minutes at the host table waiting for someone to seat me (there were only 2 other sets of people in there, so not busy at all). We went there for Happy Hour and were told most of the items were not ready yet (however, Happy Hour is from 5-7, and we ordered at 6).

I am sure the bus boy/waitress noticed that we didn't eat ANY of our food. It was very low quality and not the same items we had once been served there. We had the hummus (only 2 bites), Fried Green Tomatoes (soggy), BBQ Short Ribs (which came out like a meat loaf), full of fat, I couldn't even keep one bite down, and the Beef empanada's which the "empanada" part was made of something different.

I had a Restaraunt.com coupon, and they said AFTER they gave us the bill that the "Happy Hour" items that were half off, we had to pay full price b/c of the voucher that I had (not a coupon or discount - which their menu states).

I used to like coming here, but I will never, EVER step foot in there again. We simply paid the bill and left, never to look back. This place seems to be going down.

Oh, and the waitress was very loopy. Didn't know what menu items were available.

• Visited July 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Food, But Large Groups, Check First”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Greet food! Mostly tapas. Recommend: Scallops, artisan pizzas, calamari, cheese plate with crustini & olives was good; ahi tuna was a little too warm in the middle. Nicely decorated, but just a couple of tables for parties of 6 or larger; most tables seat 2 - 4. Even though we had a reservation for 6 weeks prior, our party of 9 was seated at couches and a small cocktail type table in between; couch against wall a little higher (with no back, just pillows) than other couch & chair. Not conducive to eating a meal comfortably, and also awkward for the server to server our selections and drinks; not good for those with back problems. We tried to move even separate tables, but was told they were reserved; hostess didn't seem concerned nor empathized. When we left 2-1/2 hours later, those reserved tables were still empty! They do have music/entertainment on weekends, but seating in back is difficult to hear. Might try again for a late night snack/drink, but definitely not with a large party unless assured of a table or the closed-off room in the back of the restaurant. So, if you have a party of 5 or more, check before going to see if you'll definitely have a table, or seating on the side couches. Gave atmosphere an average, due to the awkwardness of our seating.

• Visited April 2012