“The NC Symphony's "Schubert's 'Great' Symphony" in Southern Pines was Incredible!”

North Carolina Symphony
Ranked #38 of 152 things to do in Raleigh
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My wife and I went to the North Carolina Symphony's presentation of "Schubert's 'Great' Symphony" for our 4th wedding anniversary on the 15th at the Lee Auditorium at Pinecrest High School, in Southern Pines, NC. We had pre-ordered "Orchestra Seating" so that we could enjoy the music "up-close."

The ticket prices were very acceptable for this event. We had pre-ordered them through Ticketmaster. The Symphony was amazing and the Conductor, William Henry Curry was fantastic. I had seen Mr. Curry conduct the NC Symphony at a Christmas concert several years ago and was just as impressed now as I was then. You can tell that he is a very passionate and talented Conductor.

We also were treated to a pre-concert lecture presented by a retired music instructor from Sandhills Community College. He did a fantastic job preparing us with a little history and background on the music and composers we were about to enjoy. I am not sure how we managed that "treat" other than we were an hour early for the concert. Maybe it had to do with our seating or maybe we were just lucky.

We enjoyed the music of Mussorgsky, Grieg, and Schubert. One of our favorites was Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" which is more commonly recognized as music from Disney's Fantasia. The highlight of course was the work by Schubert. If you have the opportunity to go to the NC Symphony for this presentation, I would highly recommend it. They are doing additional performances of "Shuberts 'Great' Symphony" at Reeves Auditorium in Fayetteville, on Sept 16, Kenan Auditorium at UNC in Wilmington on Sep 17, The New Bern Riverfront Convention Center in New Bern on Sep 18 and at the Walker Center at Wilkes Community College in Wilkesboro on Oct 6. If you cannot make any of these, I recommend attending any of their future presentations. You will not be disappointed!

1  Thank MWB2011