“The Stanbury”

Dining options: Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The Stanbury”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My husband and I decided to give the Stanbury a try for a date night. He saw that it had made it into a NY Times article on Raleigh. We hadn't heard much about it prior to the article. I called to try to get a reservation but, they were booked for the weekend. We decided to drive by and see what the wait was. At 6:15ish on a Friday, we were able to get a lovely table for two on the porch in 30 minutes. Food wise, I was very happy. I thought that our entrees really lived up to the hype. We both ordered from the large plate menu. I ordered the Scallops which were served atop a succotash - a personal favorite for a side. They were fantastic. The serving size was a bit small but, I was happy. My husband liked the scallops but noted that the serving wouldn't be large enough to fill him up. Luckily, he ordered the pork chop. The flavors of the dish were as on point as they were with the scallop dish. It was just a much more filling serving - perfect for him.

I cannot stress this enough - for our palates (probably not the most sophisticated out there) the flavors of the dishes were really great. Despite getting a table pretty quickly, it did seem as though we had to wait a bit longer for the food to come out. The flavors really made it worth the wait. On my dish, the cream sauce combined perfectly with the scallop and unique succotash. There was a bacon undertone somewhere in there which wasn't over powering. There was a bit of a citrus hint too. It was fabulous. For my husband, the kale and fingerling potatoes that accompanied the large pork chop were fantastic. The kale had a lemon-buttermilk sauce and the fingerling potatoes had a smokey flavor - as if they had been perfectly roasted at a campfire - by an expert chef that is. Really great flavors. We also ordered two drinks - the Sandhills Smash (bourbon, peach, lemon and mint) and the Asti Spritz (aperol, moscato d'asti, club soda and lime). The Asti Spritz was a pretty typical aperol spritz. The Sandhills Smash surprised me. I usually stray away from bourbon but, I think I could have enjoyed an entire Smash on my own. Usually my husband has me take a sip and it's all I can do to get down bourbon and scotch drinks. This one was quite lovely. We both enjoyed it. It was also unique - something I hadn't had before - although we found it to be somewhat related to a mojito - just not as sweet - but really enjoyable.

As two educators, the restaurant was a bit pricey but, it's perfect for a special occasion and I really hope we get to return. It's also neat that a local chocolate store, Escazu, is right next door. Our venture took us to a different section of town which was also a plus (it is close to Mordecai and historic Oakwood - right behind Peace College).

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Small-plate heaven.”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Before I start, go ahead and call and make a reservation. It's a hot spot these days and it should be. The service was fantastic, the drinks were refreshing and perfect for a warm summer day and the wine selection was great. There were three of us dining together and we all ordered a salad and then shared five of the small plates. We were full by the end of plate four but we powered through. I cannot wait to go back. I will note that the restaurant was warm due to the open-air feel and it being summer, but that won't keep me away.

1 Thank Emily W
Cary, North Carolina
“Not as good as advertised”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

A group of friends and I made the trip to Stanbury on a recent Saturday night after hearing rave reviews about the hottest new spot in Raleigh. I must admit that we were disappointed. The atmosphere left a lot to be desired with uncomfortable chairs and nothing special to make it stand out. In addition, the service was horrible. We waited two hours for dinner to arrive after a 9pm reservation. The one highlight was the food, it was farm to table and delicious once it made it to the table. If you try this place be patient.

1 Thank DreamaG
“Amazing, creative farm-to-table cuisine”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Enjoyed a great meal at Stansbury. Lots of creative options crafted from locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients. Choose from starters, small plates, and big plates. Nice wines to complement the food. We were lucky and able to get a table for two without a reservation early on a weeknight. We'd tried for reservations other times but weren't early enough. If you want to go, book a least a week in advance. More for weekends. It's a small place.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank hengelhardt1
Syosset, New York
“The latest trend”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Visiting my daughter in Durham, and she said this restaurant had just made the best new restaurants in the triangle list. So off we went, without a reservation. Rustic exterior, good so far. Smile from the hostess, okay. Tole we would have to wait 45 min. Not so good. Off to the bar, where we are told we cannot sit down because the seats are reserved for diners. So we stand with our drinks. 45 minutes turned into 20, excellent. There were 5 of us, a bit cramped at the table, but acceptable. Waitress was very nice and attentive. Food was delicious. However, about halfway thru the meal our eyes started burning. The smoke from the cooking area was not properly vented. At someooint they opened the garage door wall to let in fresh air, and mosquitos. Opted out of dessert, just wanted to leave. Too bad, food was so good but would never go back.

• Visited July 2014