“Bland food and Stomach trouble for days”
Review of NOFO Cafe

NOFO Cafe
Ranked #84 of 1,451 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Oxford, North Carolina
“Bland food and Stomach trouble for days”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were looking forward to a good dinner at NOFO cafe, as we have read great things about it and good reviews. My husband and I went for dinner last Friday night and were highly disappointed. To start, the atmosphere was great and all looked good, clean, nice ambiance. We were seated next to the door of the kitchen but didnt let that bother us. I was planning on the shrimp burger since I read it was actually made in house and was not just shrimp on a bun, but was an actual ground patty. So when I ordered it at 7:30 on Friday night, I did not expect for the to be "out" of a main menu dish, not a special. Instead, I adjusted quickly to order the scallop appetizer as my main course along with creamed cauliflower. The scallops were in fact cooked perfectly, and are my favorite seafood. A little small on the portion (three, and on the smaller side for scallops) but they were local from NC and that was appreciated. The creamed cauliflower was HORRIBLE. It was extremely bland, not tasting fresh or flavorful, and basically was cauliflower sitting in a bowl of cream that did not taste cooked. My husband has the shrimp and grits. We cook a lot and have made much better shrimp and grits. They had no sauce or rue and just didnt have much flavor either. In fact, it is the same Crooks Corner recipe that we use, but theirs just wasnt worth the $, and wasnt good. We got the sweet potato fries as an app and they did taste pretty darn good. The rolls were sweet and were a highlight sadly. The worst part was 5 minutes after we left, making a immediate pit stop at a gas station as we could not make it another 5 minutes to our destination before stopping. Horrible stomach pains and nausea continued after that. My body still was not recovered the next day. We have never experienced this before and eat out plenty. Will not be going back, but if you choose too, be careful what you eat (only thing we both ate was the fries) and go for the local scallops.

• Visited March 2013

“Retro all around”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't believe they could put a hip cafe in an old Piggly Wiggly but it totally works!

Loved it all - from the old timey candy selection in their store upstairs ( a def must see) to their wide selection of new south cuisine to the hipster decor all around.

Would've given all 5stars except I thought it was a slightly overpriced meal. But if you're paying for a unique dining experience it was so worth it!

2 Thank AmieWoods
Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States
“Yummy!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have been here for brunch several times. And, we LOVE it. Their french toast is delicious and the pork hash is to die for! Also, they have a nice selection of fresh and tasty salads that are served with a biscuit on the side. We love the shop upstairs and never leave empty handed. They have a great selection of unique gift items as well as some kitchen and food items. Also, a wonderful selection of retro-ish candy! The service is great and the atmosphere is casual and cool. Very fun place to dine. Highly recommend it!

• Visited December 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Formerly a Piggly Wiggly”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this eclectic restaurant/shop especially as a go-to place to meet the girls for a nice lunch. Food is always fresh and tasty. Great service and central location. Upstairs shop is a must. So many cute, quirky items. Fabulous gift ideas for all. Look forward to my next visit here!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank miamigirl125
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great local food and pairings”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited Nofo recently with a Groupon and was reminded just how great this place is. Hard to choose from many great dinner offerings. I had the special: pork tenderloin stuffed with goat cheese and spinach, over leek mashed potatoes, with Dijon braised Brussels sprouts! Yum! Good service and reasonable prices for the quality. Gift shop upstairs. You'd never know the space was once a Piggly Wiggly grocery store! Only negative: beer in bottles only; no drafts.

1 Thank Nhampton