“Great family fun and dining!”

Kanki Japanese House of Steaks
Ranked #154 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We ate here late Friday night after arriving in Raleigh for the weekend. We were seated right away and the chef came out about 20 minutes after we were seated and had been served our salads and soup. We eat at restaurants similar to this quite often and I have never had ginger dressing quite like this. It was more of an orange colored peppercorn dressing than ginger. The soup was good but neither of us ate the salad. My boyfriend got the scallops and I got steak and shrimp. The scallops were well seasoned and seared just right. They were juicy and not dry like some japenese restaurants tend to do. They were worth the money but do not expect large sea scallops. My steak was cooked rare just as I requested and was delicious as was the shrimp.

The best part of the evening was hands down the show put on by Chef Chao. He took great care to be considerate of our three year old while doing the fire part of the show. He directed all of his actions towards our son and was kind enough to ask how small he needed the chicken cut. Overall it was a great dining experience for your family. Thank you Chef Chao!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The food and experience is great but very expensive. I have gone to Kanki in years past and gotten a great meal for two with drinks and appetizer for less then $70. When I looked at the menu I noticed that the prices had dramatically increased. We couldn't get out for less than $130. Same great food but way overpriced in my opinion.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and daughter take me here every year for Mother's Day, and I always enjoy it. The chef is always great, and the food is fantastic. I always order the seafood tsunami, and it always satifies my seafood craving. This place is a must!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Whenever I travel near this restaurant, it is a must stop. I always have the combination of shrimp and filet mignon. It is always very good and well prepared. From frequent visits, I have learned to order the filet (or regular steak) rarer than you actually want it. For example, I like my filet prepared to "medium" but order it medium rare. Regardless of this, Kanki is always my first choice of area eateries.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We live here in Raleigh and visit Kanki on special occasions. Our kids love it. My wife and I also enjoy dining here. You come here not only for the food, but also to a lesser extent, the "show" that the cook puts on. We've found over our many visits the that meal and show can vary quite a bit depending upon the cook you get and his experience level. On occasion, we've had overcooked meals, but that is the exception. Usually a badly cooked meal is paired with a poor, or limited, short "show", indicating you got a relatively new cook. But the majority of the time, we are very pleased with our meal.

DON'T come here if you are in a hurry. Often the waiting time to get a table is long. Once you're seated, it will usually take a while before you actually eat. The food comes out in stages. You get your drink, wait, get your salad and soup, wait, the cook comes out, cooks the vegetables and serves them, then cooks the rice, serves that, then the meats, then the mushrooms if you want them. If you wait until all of your food is on your plate, it will be cold, so I suggest eating the food as it is served to you in its various stages.

One word of warning... our family almost invariably needs to visit the rest room shortly after our meals. It's kind of the running joke every time we visit. We're not sure what it is, but we think it may be the dipping sauces, or maybe more specifically, the ginger that they also cook with. They give you ginger and a "spicey mayo" dipping sauces. Both are really good, but you may pay a price!

Overall, we obviously enjoy going there, because we return again and again. I can't speak for the sushi, but the Hibachi cooked menu items are generally very good. Our favorite is the Filet Mignon. Last tip-- if you have the opportunity, visit at lunch instead of dinner. The lunch menu prices can be around $10 less expensive for the same or very similar menu items on the dinner menu.

Been to Kanki Japanese House of Steaks? Share your experiences!