“If you like steak with flavor avoid this place”

Peddler Steak House
Ranked #179 of 1,465 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Las Vegas NV
“If you like steak with flavor avoid this place”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I dined at the Peddler for the very first time in August 2012 and will not be returning. I ordered a ribeye with a baked potato and all entrees come with the salad bar. The salad bar was the high point of the meal. In a very small space they pack a lot of things to adorn your lettuce. Bacon bits, hard boiled eggs, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and many other items too numerous to mention.

The problem was the steak. It seemed to have no flavor. Charcoal or grilled steaks tend to have a lot of flavor. The baked potato would hardly melt butter. I also had sauteed mushrooms which I would not recommend either.

I knew going in that the decor was 70's style so that was expected. Spend your money at Angus Barn or Flemings. The steaks are much better there.

• Visited August 2012

Antioch, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OK”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My grilled shrimp came out ice cold. They fixed it and the rest of the meal was enjoyable. Salad bar was great.

Visited July 2012
Raleigh, NC
“Legacy doesn't last forever”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've patronized the Peddler restaurants for 20+ years, intrigued from the outset that this small chain started off as a haven for traveling salesman, a trade I've plied for years, and have always enjoyed the rustic charm and excellent beef. Having relocated to Raleigh, my wife and I returned to the local Peddler and have become increasingly disenchanted with the decor and the service. While there is a certain "down at the heels" charm associated with any restaurant that has been around for decades and still serves good food, that doesn't last forever. And not to be cruel, nor will the clientele who appear to have a median age in their late 60's. The Peddler still packs them in on Saturday night, but if they would even lightly upgrade the interior and tighten their hiring standards for servers, they could both justify their prices and ensure that they'd be around for another generation of patrons.

• Visited March 2012
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina
“Great food, no atmoshpere”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Great steaks, not much for atmosphere, but they have a great selection of cuts.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Peddler...not as good as it used to be...”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Sadly my last experience there was not very good.
The place is worn and decor outdated....service poor, food quality poor, drinks weak......
The ribeye I ordered was small cut for the money, over cooked (I ordered med-rare) and unseasoned..I mean plain with nothing..no seasoning at all...the service was not good either, slow and scattered. The salad bar was good with lots of selections, but not well serviced with many items running low..kinda bottom of the bins on many items....
I was asked upon departure by cashier how everything was...I asked if she wanted an honest answer...I dont think she really did..but said yes...I gave it...no gestures of any kind forthcoming from having done so...excuses for steak made about a new cook or something... was about all said....nothing else noted in apology or improvement...

Over all I'd say they have kind of lost their touch some where along the way...its not what it used to be at all and not a good value this last time at all either....

• Visited August 2011

Been to Peddler Steak House? Share your experiences!