“Good place to get fresh Chinese”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Peking Garden Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #752 of 1,444 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good place to get fresh Chinese”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The restaurant is toward the back of a dingy strip mall, but don't be fooled. The ambiance is nice with a huge fish pond and tank and nice table set ups in that sort of 1980s Chinese restaurant mode, casual decor. The staff is always friendly. We usually do take out but dining in is a nice option. The menu is extensive and includes both Chinese and Thai options, with a lot of fish. The soups are fabulous and made with a vegetarian broth. The restaurant is very veggie friendly in terms of entrees and appetizers. They are health conscious with no MSG in the food and the option of brown rice. I never feel bloated or headachy after eating the food. The restaurant features a full bar menu but no bar area. It is a great option for fresh consistent Chinese food. They are closed on Monday.

• Visited January 2014

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Average to Below Average Food, Terrible Service & Atmosphere”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I probably wouldn't be writing a review for this place if it were just based on the food. Overall, the food is nothing special, but I would not go out of my way to write a negative review about it. However, last month, after being in the mood for some Chinese food at lunch, I found this place on Google (should have checked TripAdvisor first!) and decided to give it a try. Big mistake and I should have realized it as soon as I walked in and the whole place was empty.

After being seated by the owner/cook/server I was hardly attended (despite being the only customer), and then subsequently ignored. When he finally came around for my order, he acted as if I were doing him a favor. I don't think he smiled once or tried to engage in any form of communication other then grunts the entire time. However, those anecdotes would have been easily forgotten if it were not for what were to come next.

When I went to pay, I had a coupon that I tried to used but the owner wouldn't accept it. I pointed out that it was a valid coupon (proper expiration date, name of restaurant, etc. etc.) and the owner completely looses it. He starts forcefully yelling and creating a commotion over a $5 coupon. I can honestly say I had never seen anything like it before. It was nearly to point where he was getting violent (slamming his fist on the table, crumbling up the coupon and throwing it, etc). The scene was just totally bizarre and needless to say I won't be going back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank FFS332
Raleigh, North Carolina
“the administrator is crazy”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I went to eat at that restaurant last weekend, and I received the worst treat I've ever received in Raleigh so far. We wanted to pay with a coupon and the administrator yelled at us. I understand that if the special lunch is not included we should pay with cash. But I don't understand the administrator treatment. There are some respectful ways of saying when something is wrong but he yelled at us for 5 minutes.
You can find similar food in other restaurant. So DON'T GO THERE

• Visited October 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good stop for a healthy meal”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Peking Garden makes a point about not using MSG or bad oils. You can get steamed organic vegetables as well as a side of brown rice. This is definitely a good place for a vegetarian. The environment is quite lovely. The service can be a bit slow, but who's in a hurry with good food to come?

• Visited June 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Nice place”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Peking Garden is a well established Raleigh Chinese restaurant as it has been around for many years. We go for dinner several times a year.
Last night was a fairly typical experience. I usually order the Triple Delight but last night I had the Shrimp with Vegetables but asked that a brown sauce be added to it. The entree was full of shrimp but was a little on the bland side. It was warm but not hot. I also had the Hot and Sour soup was was terrific.
My wife had the Mu Shu Pork which she always orders and enjoys though she tought it was on the bland side also.
The decor is well done with a koi pond and oriental decorations through out.
Our service was excellent. The waitress has really improved her English in the couple of years we have know her. She is always very pleasant and friendly. The person who seated us was not friendly and just sort of threw the menus on the table.
The noise level is low and it is a nice place to for "date night".
It also seems to do a sizeable take out business.

• Visited April 2013