“Go South Side”

Red Hot & Blue
Ranked #114 of 1,518 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: Red Hot and Blue is a full-service, casual-themed restaurant chain and caterer featuring delicious award-winning ribs, Memphis-style barbeque, smoked wings, and Southern sides and desserts. The atmosphere is steeped in legendary and contemporary blues music and delivers a large dose of Southern hospitality in a fun and entertaining dining environment. History: The first Red Hot and Blue restaurant opened in Arlington, Virginia in 1988, started by Lee Atwater, Don Sundquist and friends. Don Sundquist was from Memphis and served in the House of Representatives and as governor of Tennessee. The late Lee Atwater was an amateur blues musician and political figure that managed George H.W. Bush's successful race for the presidency. These men were friends who longed for authentic Memphis-style barbeque and great blues music. Unable to find that combination anywhere in the Washington, DC area they decided the only way to get it done was to open a restaurant of their own. The Memphis-style barbeque chain celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 2013 by partnering with a charitable organization at 24 different restaurant locations. The yearlong celebration culminated in the presentation of thousands of dollars in donations to local charities. The Name: The name, "Red Hot and Blue" is taken from the title of D.J. Dewey Phillip's radio show that that aired on WHBQ-AM in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950s. This radio show launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash and broadened the audience for artists such as BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Rufus Thomas. Red Hot & Blue Dine-In, Take-Out and Catering. Hickory-smoked Memphis-style BBQ, Ribs, Wings, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Seafood, Full-service Bar, in a Family-friendly atmosphere with a heapin' helpin' of Southern Hospitality!
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This dining experience was great. They really made me feel like I was at home. The food was out of its world. I grew up on southern cooking all my life. OH, MY GOD!!!.. The baby back ribs and steak was a perfect TEN. Every since my big sister took. I am hooked on the food for life.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is chain BBQ which is never good. No smoke flavor. Dry meat. Just all in all a big disappointment, especially when you can find real BBQ out there.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place has some of the best rib and catfish platters in Raleigh. If you like dry rub ribs and live for the best catfish platter this is the place to go. Wait staff is great and prices are very reasonable. Great music and ambience; its a good place for taking your friends to catch up after a long day of a long time.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I like the Memphis style barbeque. The pulled pork is always lean and not greasy (like some NC barbeque) and they have several BBQ sauces so you can have sweet, mild, hot or hotter. Love the baked beans. I have used Red, Hot & Blue for catering and everything is ready on time and as ordered. Service has always been prompt and consistent.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been here with my wife and neighbors about 4 diferent times over the last year. This is one of their favorite places but as a group we haven't had great service. The last two times we came in, we decided to move away from the bar. Big improvement! The service is much better away from the bar area. We have come to enjoy the Shakin' Bacon cheese fries, chicken corn chowder, and most all of their meat options!

Most recently I tied their Chicken Crisper Platter with a potato salad. I was impressed! The time before I tried their fried shrimp. I would recommend the shrimp. It's been a little while since I've had them but I was less impressed with their wings and have had some inconsistency with their brisket. When it's on, it's great but you need to ask them how it looks before you jump into it.

I would also recommend the okra, potato salad, and hush puppies. Surprisingly enough, their Hoochie Coochie Sausage & Cheese Plate is worth a spin.

Overall a decent place to visit. At times, it rivals my more favorite barbeque chain (Sticky Fingers) but it can be a bit inconsistent as well. Worth a trip if you haven't been.