“Standard deep fried seafood...fair”

Mayflower Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #628 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed March 1, 2012

It is fair...the food is heavy but at a good price. Sit away from the large families.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

On a recent church-business trip to Raleigh, our group wanted seafood for dinner. The desk clerk at our hotel recommended this place. I'm not very sure why.

The restaurant itself isn't located in a very good/safe area. The facility isn't very clean and it is extremely dated. However, those are issues I can handle.

Our service was slow and poor, but I don't blame the server. I only saw two servers trying to cover an area/number of customers that would normally demand 6-8 servers. We were slow to get our orders, many extra things we asked for did not arrive, drinks went empty several times, and it was impossible to flag down a server since there were only two of them and I watched as neither one of them ever really stopped.

The food was average at best. Nobody in our group was very impressed. My scallops were good, but not great. The clam strips were very tough and chewy and not very flavorful. They were not cooked well. The slaw was OK, but was lacking in texture and unimpressive. The hush-puppies were pretty good (although they looked like onion rings).

Others in our group said their food was bland, not cooked well, and wasn't what they expected. Two orders were incorrect, one was corrected.

For the money we paid, we would have done a lot better at Captain D's! I like to give good reviews in my travels (see my history), but I can't say much good about this place.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We eat at Mayflower every time we go to Raleigh for meetings (at least once a quarter and sometimes monthly). I enjoy the food and service and have been eating there for about 5 or 6 years.
The down side is they stopped giving us discounts on meals recently so our group is considering going to another place that does. Every penny helps in this economy.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

You cannot have seafood without hush puppies and they make them right there in the restaurant. I ordered the Captain's platter (the small one) and I go to town on all the fried fish and seafood on the plate, The coleslaw is hand made too and it is delicious. Some people may not like all the fried stuff but I grew up on it.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

While visiting Raleigh, my husband wanted a steak and I wanted seafood. We decided to try Mayflower's since it was just down the road from our hotel and we had had a long day. We went in and there was hardly anyone there, that should have been our first sign to leave, but we wanted to see for ourselves. We waited at the front for 5 minutes before even being acknowledged. We were then seated in the dining room that had no other guests, not sure why we were separated from the other few guests there were. The waiter kept coming back every minute asking if we were ready after telling him this was our first visit and we needed a few mins. to look over the options. We placed our order, my husband ordered the prime rib (which we were both under the impression that prime rib was one of the most tender cuts of beef there is) and I ordered some kind of seafood platter with shrimp and crab cakes. When my plate was delivered, I wasn't sure what one of the items were, but later found out it was supposed to be the crab cakes. I've never seen crab cakes that were gray. The shrimp was OK, but the batter was sweet (which I'm not use to) and a different texture than I'm also use to. My husband's steak was only warm and very tough. The fries that we both ordered tasted as if they had been sitting there since lunch. We asked for the manager and told her how disappointed we were and that after a few bites, we were not going to finish the food. We asked what we owed her and said we were leaving. I personally have never had to leave a restaurant after only a few bites, but there was no way I was going to finish that food. I was worried that I would get sick and not be able to finish my vacation plans. She was kind, apologetic and said we didn't have to pay anything. She even offered to bring out something different, however, after the first experience, we weren't taking any chances.