“Full Menu Served til 2am, Decent Prices & Good Food”
Review of Sawmill Tap Room

Sawmill Tap Room
Ranked #390 of 1,493 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've been going to Sawmill Taproom since I moved to Raleigh a decade ago. I usually go for late night food, but it's not a bad afternoon dinner spot either. It's an affordable, low-key place to meet friends for food and drinks til 2am. I never see questionable characters hanging out there, like you may find at some other late night establishments on the weekends. When you walk inside, you can either go to the right to sit near the bar or go left to sit in the dining room (so the dining room is somewhat shut off from the bar area). The dining room has a TV and even a big fireplace that roars to life in cold months. I agree that it does look kind of dated inside the place, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Food is served until it closes at 2am. The menu has a decent selection, running the gamut from sandwiches and wraps to weiners to burgers (the cheesesteak burger is recommended by my husband, he said it's one of the best burgers he's had) to huge entree salads for a great price. It's perfect bar food. The menu offerings have evolved over the years; when I first starting coming here there were these amazing fried mushrooms that are now gone. I feel like the spinach dip & onion rings used to be better. Though they now have sweet potato tots which are good and many other new things, so there are trade-offs. There are more vegetarian friendly food choices than there used to be.

It seems many of the waitresses are high-school age so the service might be a bit amateurish (like somebody mentioned below, they probably won't ask if you want dessert), though they're always friendly, in my experience. So you won't get professional, career-waitresses -- it's more of a casual environment. Our bill is always lower than I expect it to be, the menu has good selection, and the food is tasty and served late, all of which is appreciated and the reason I will keep going back.

Recommended for a casual dining experience, a few drinks at the bar, dinner out on the patio if the weather's nice, sitting around shooting the breeze with a group, and more.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were greeted and seated by the hostess. We waited for about 7 minutes before we were greeted by the waitress to take our drink order. My husband ordered a Jalapeno burger, and I ordered a Philly Cheesesteak. My husband liked his burger, the meat in my sandwich tasted spoiled. Fries were ok, fried pickles were o.k. The waitress only checked on us 2x and that was right after we got the food. We didn't see her again until 30 min later when we were done eating, we sat there with empty cups. When we asked for refills she was a little shocked, because she came out with the bill. Never asked if we wanted another drink, did not ask if we wanted dessert, nothing. We were not the only ones that night being ignored, everyone around us were waiting as long as we were maybe longer for service. The inside of that place also needs a makeover. The bathroom was pretty descent.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Inside could use a little renovation and make it look a little less like a saloon from the 60's but overall this is a classic neighborhood gem, great burgers, excellent beer selection and nice outdoor seating area.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I can't believe I've never reviewed Sawmill Tap Room. We've eaten there about once a month for the last 5 years! So you can take my word for it when I say I've never had a bad meal. Burgers or all varieties are excellent. The Onion Rings are hand battered and excellent! I've recently "given" up red meat so I've shifted to Turkey Clubs, fish, and chicken. All very good. The service is always attentive. It can get a little noisy, but that just means everyone is enjoying their food and friends. Definitely, worth a trip if in the mood for good pub food. Don't forget to sit outside if the weather's nice!!!

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We are up just for a day and wanted to sit and have a good beer. Sawmill tap room had some awesome local seasonal beers and beers that we had while we traveled (it was a great treat to see them again). The pickle trips for thinly cut and nice and crispy. One word to describe... Yum!