“Excellent”

42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,446 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Street
Transit: RLine stop one block away
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed a family b-day gathering here on a Sunday evening. Food is very good. Service above average. Prices are fair. Had the Norfolk style shrimp and scallops---yummy. First visit, but will not be the last.

Visited September 2013

Fort Myers Beach, Florida
“Very Good Service but...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The place is interesting. Nicely decorated and I particularly appreciated the sound deadening. It could be a very loud place but they really went to lengths to control it including carpeting the underside of the tables!!! The greetings were friendly and the wait staff were great. Lively and interested. Unfortunately, the food did not stand up. I suppose you would be happy if you just like fried or oysters but we were expecting more. My son and his had the Cajun Fried Mac & Cheese app while I had the crab dip. The Mac & cheese sounded great and I love mac & cheese, especially braised. Too bad. No cheese and it was burnt too crispy with the cajun flavor supplied as a sauce in a ramekin on the side. uuuggghhh. The crab dip was hot and good but served with cold slices of pita bread. Should have been chips. The pita was thick and dry. For entree they had seafood fettuccine Alfredo which my son said was "fine". I had the blackened salmon. Blackened, not BBQ Burnt. The salmon was dry and the charcoal crust went deep into the salmon. Baked potato was perfect. Having said all of that I am not an oyster fan but they looked great and there seemed to be a lot of them going. I think there are two oyster bars and they were busy. I like this restaurant for its service and atmosphere. Wish we had chosen better dishes. Again, the staff are terrific.

• Visited October 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Very good seafood”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We ate here on Sept 2, and although ti wasn't our first choice (most other restaurants were closed for the holiday), we were not disappointed. The hush puppies are always delicious, served warm, with butter. We shared several dishes, crab cakes, which were delicious (and that's high praise for Marylander's), blackened bacon wrapped scallops, which were to-die-for scrumptious, and buffalo shrimp which were spicy, and a nice variant on a theme.

1 Thank treefrog62
Wilmington, North Carolina
“A Gem in Downtown Raleigh”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I dined here September 21 with daughter & son-in-law, who live only a block away. This place has been open over 80 years, but is still packed every night. We had oysters on the half shell (our first of the year) and they were delicious. Dinner was also very good. Everyone had something different, but the fried shrimp entrée was the best of the four entrees (my wife's choice). I had Cajun Shrimp, which were good, but her fried shrimp were simply outstanding. If you like steamed oysters, you can sit at the bar and they will shuck them for you. If in Raleigh, NC, go to their website and make your reservation. You won't regret it.

1 Thank allstuff
Cary, North Carolina
“Wonderful restaurant for celebrating a birthday”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've been here several times and have always had a great dinner. This time, we had delicious oysters on the half shell followed by perfectly prepared grouper (birthday girl) and scallops (me). They have a good selection of bottled and draft beers and my server gave some great recommendations (including an off-menu choice - very cool!). I like the license plates from all the political heavyweights on the wall, and the tables along the kitchen area where the oysters are shucked. There is always a lot of activity and everyone seems to be having as much fun as we did. There are a couple of other places in Raleigh that are good for a special occasion but this is my favorite.