“Great Seafood in Raleigh” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of 42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill

42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,440 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Street
Transit: RLine stop one block away
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Great Seafood in Raleigh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a favorite when company comes to town. The atmosphere is fun in this Raleigh tradition. The seafood is always fresh and variety plentiful. Obviously a great place for oysters in Raleigh if that is your thing. Only open for dinner so plan accordingly. Anytime we go there are always groups there celebrating something so it is a good place for that as well.

Seattle, Washington
“Great See-food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Okay, my spin on seafood reflects the experience of ordering more than I could eat. In wanting to taste some of the different food items, I order salad and appetizers. This included ceasar salad, calamari, the world famous 42nd street oysters, cajun shrimp and a dozen oysters. The fresh hot hushpuppies were so gooood!!!

Good thing that I invited a friend to meet me for a light snack... There is nothing like good, fresh, well prepared, enjoyable, tasty food!! My friend was stuffed and I sat back with a chuckle thinking that my style of "light" eating would be an example of how to travel and maintain a healthy weight. The food was so good my friend decided in southern style that there was a need for dessert.

The mango sorbet with the rasberry sorbert was another hit with this combo, there was nothing to do but call it a night.

Hope on my next trip to narrow down to some entree. Who knows, if they keep the same menu I may be adventureous and order some different appetizers. Either way, it is a winning situation. Great seafood!!

Edenton, North Carolina
“Meh. I came, I saw, and I left.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

This place thrives because its been there for so long. It's a Raleigh institution. It's just not that impressive, but I'm from the coast and am accustomed to super fresh seafood. Choppino was okay. So was the seafood Norfolk and fried fish my cohorts ordered. Overall, it's just meh.

New York City, New York
“I love this PLACE!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I Love this Place. They are always good to their customers. I lived the Raleigh for a number of years before I moved to SC and there is no place like it. Everytime I make a trip back to Raleigh; I make it my goal to go to the Oyster bar. I love getting the Cajun Calamari and Cajun Oysters and can't go wrong with the cheese potato. Now one thing I would say is if you plan on going on a Fri or Sat try to make a reservation. It gets packed quick, but they do seat fast. I wish they had a place like this in Charleston, SC.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank TheYankeei3
Kingsport, TN
“It was pretty good...very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Business dinner with 7 folks....the Oysters were OK....the bisque was pretty good....and everyone agreed the entrees were "OK"....nothing was bad, but I would say disappointing. The place has character...it's just a shame the food was not as good as the "character".