“A Raleigh Tradition - Still A Great Place for Seafood”

42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,484 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Street
Transit: RLine stop one block away
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Oyster Bar has been part of the Raleigh cuisine scene for as long as I can remember. I average eating here about once every six months or so. Every time I leave, so full and satisfied, I ask myself why I wait so long between visits! The seafood is always impeccably prepared and they have the best coleslaw in town. The hushpuppies are irresisitable as well. I have never been unhappy with anything I have ordered here. The service is quick, friendly, and attentive, The Oyster Bar is a classic and it is must for dining in Raleigh.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We experienced fantastic service and enjoyed excellent seafood! The baked oysters sampler platter is wonderful! Oysters melt in your mouth. My husband had sea scallops - cooked perfectly. I had lightly blackened salmon/shrimp/scallops - all were fantastic. The hushpuppies are addictive. Have been here a couple times and never disappointing.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Our party of four was warmly greeted and promptly seated on a Friday at 6pm. Our server was friendly and attentive and the old warehouse style ambience lent a casual but intimate mood.

The menu is extensive and caters to seafood with a small number of beef and pasta dishes. We started with the hush puppies, delicious and not overly greasy, followed by oysters Rockefeller which were superb. All the seafood dishes were excellent and our meat lover savored his filet mignon. Desserts were solid with the peanut butter silk pie a top choice.

Prices were moderately expensive but well worth the investment. Wines were a good range of options at fair prices. This was our third visit and we've never been disappointed. It is definitely seafood oriented and highlighted many fried dishes but many an be sautéed or broiled on request.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was there with colleagues and customer. The food is very good, a lot of choice, excellent service....oyster incredible. Very very good.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

After a long dry spell of not visiting 42nd St, my husband and I decided to return on a visit to Raleigh recently. It has been a favorite seafood spot over the years when in the triangle.

We were seated immediately for our 8pm reservations, and the service was top notch from the time we sat until the time we left. We received good recommendations from our waiter, Jackson, on both food and drinks. It is difficult to say what we enjoyed the most out of all of the things we ate. The buffalo shrimp were absolutely perfect: tender and hot enough to make it interesting, but not overly hot. I had been craving a baked oyster sampler for literally a few years, and I finally got it. I enjoyed all three types: pimiento cheese, Rockefeller, and 42st style. The 42st style was my favorite, and I ended up ordering a plate of that type later. My husband enjoyed the blackened ahi bites as well as the fried soft shell crabs. I tasted both, and the soft shell crab was out of this world tasty. It says a lot that they don't even serve them with the typical remoulade sauce, because you don't even need it.

Of the three drinks I tried, I would have to say that the blood orange mojito and the Jones St Sangria were my favorites. It is really nice to see this restaurant not only offer North Carolina seafood items, but also local beer and wine.

Considering the variety of food and drink that we ordered, we considered the final bill to be a bargain. After having recently visited some high-end steak restaurants, this was a deal in comparison.

42nd Street holds a special place in my heart, and I'm so glad to have come away from our most recent visit even more ready to return than before. I love the history there, as well as the retro atmosphere. The only disappointment for me, personally, is the general trend that patrons don't dress up to eat here like they used to, but that doesn't only apply here. I just remember it being a dressier occasion in the not-too-distant past, and it seems disrespectful and inappropriate for so many people to show up in baseball hats, t-shirts, and flip flops, as if it were an all-you-can-eat buffet in Myrtle Beach. 42nd street couldn't be farther from that scenario, and that's one of the reasons I love it so.