“The Best Tamales This Side of Texas”
Review of Salsa Fresh

Salsa Fresh
Ranked #258 of 1,526 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed December 11, 2012

After church one day, my husband and I wanted to go to a favorite sushi restaurant, but it was closed, so we moved down the way at the strip mall and happened on Salsa Fresh. We love Mexican food, and used to live in Texas, where we found it at its best.

Salsa Fresh was a very pleasant surprise. The place is small, quite modest, with very few tables. It's set up like a fast-food place, which it resembles. The fellow at the counter was very friendly, but he misunderstood our order and only brought one tamale plate instead of two. When my husband pointed this out, he quickly brought another one, and didn't remind us that we had only paid for one. When we realized OUR mistake, we quickly corrected it.

The food was excellent. Very, very fresh. We hadn't had authentic tamales since we left Texas in '96, so this was a great treat. The portions were huge. We couldn't finish it all and brought home what was left.

We must have been a little bleary that day, because I left my purse there. We called, and they kindly took care of it until we could return, several hours later.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, and if we get to that part of Raleigh again soon, that's where we'll go to eat.

2  Thank Ellen K

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We started going to Salsa Fresh about 4 years ago as someone said they had the best tamales in the Raleigh area. They are certainly the best I have found. Sometimes they are a little dry, but otherwise very consistent. My wife gets the chicken quesadallia which is the best we have found anywhere. The place is small and not much decor. We go to lunch here serveral times a month. The menu is varied and they do serve beer. The nachos look great. There is a salsa bar with 4-5 different types of salsa. The staff is most friendly. You order at the counter and they bring the food to you just after it is prepared so it is always hot.

1  Thank RaleighNCtravel
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I just lucked into eating here. We were in a hurry to grab a quick lunch and just popped in. We were both delighted to discover a place where every dish is made fresh from scratch. The carne Asada was perfect and delicious. My wife's shrimp tacos were also wonderful. All the salsas were made fresh and very tasty. It only took one taste of the freshly made to order food and we couldn't have cared less about the setting. Everyone was friendly and to get southwestern food this good normally means a trip out west. I wish we lived here in Raleigh because we would be regulars at Salsa Fresh. It's the real deal.

1  Thank Jackfred
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Rostizada salsa in their salsa bar is the best i have ever eaten. Their food is very fresh and always good. I highly recommend this place

Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is a little place a bit off the beaten path. Well worth the effort as it is sit down restaurant quality in a lower price semi take out type setting.