“Lackluster Chef and Lackluster Food”

Kanki Japanese House of Steaks
Ranked #223 of 1,455 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Holly Springs, North Carolina, United States
“Lackluster Chef and Lackluster Food”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We went here to celebrate my son's birthday. Since we also went to a movie matinee, we decided to make it a late lunch. I had read several reviews to pick this location over the one on Glenwood Ave., which is closer to home, and other Japanese steakhouses in the area. What I forgot to read was the operating hours, thus I was unaware that they close from 2 pm to 4: 30 pm. We arrived at 2:30 pm. Instead of going to the Red Lobster across the street, my son decided he wanted to check out a few stores in the area and come back. So, I was pretty famished when we finally sat down to eat, We were seated at a table with another family, who was also celebrating a birthday. The wait staff was great...quick in taking our order and attentive in refilling drinks, etc. However, our chef Mario wasn't the chatty type like I've had at other Japanese restaurants. He seemed bored, just going through the motions of his "routine." For the cost of the dinners, I was expecting more. The food was good, but nothing special. I do give them cudos for singing "Happy Birthday" and offering free sherbet (although it was very icy) to my son and the other child celebrating their special day. It was a nice surprise. I just don't think I'll go the extra distance to eat so-so food and have so-so entertainment here again.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Susan B

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Dining and live entertainment as the chef prepares your meal right before your eyes!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic time! Our chef was upbeat, talented and entertaining! There was a wide variety of food to choose from, and it seemed like no matter what was ordered - it was a very large portion!

Great place to go for a night out! So much more than just a dining experience!

• Visited May 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Kanki food is good”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

One thing about the Kanki Japanese House of Steaks, you can get good food and an excellent show. The chefs are very skilled with their preparation as well as their knives. I have seen several of them do their shows and all were quite good.

Clinton, North Carolina, USA
“Great”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

You can dinner and a show all at once. The chefs prepare your food at your table and put on a wonderful show. It is worth every penny of your money. You won't be disappointed.

NC
“Japanese Steak House”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Kanki is much like your average japanese steak house but with a higher end atmosphere. You get the show, interaction, and great food that you would expect with a higher end atmosphere at dinner time. It's very clean with immaculate bathrooms which is always important to me.

• Visited December 2012

Been to Kanki Japanese House of Steaks? Share your experiences!