“Very good food in a charming setting”
Review of 518 West Italian Cafe - CLOSED

518 West Italian Cafe
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Glenwood Ave
Transit: R-Line stop is 1 block away.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Very good food in a charming setting”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Our office has had several group luncheons here and have always enjoyed it. We've tried the pizzettes, salmon, chicken and salads. The pizzettes have been hit or miss in popularity - miss because they're small and rather plain for some. The salmon and chicken dishes have been excellent. This is the kind of Italian restaurant that provide hot bread served with herbed oil and it's a big hit with everyone. The service has been good and friendly throughout the meal except getting the ticket has been slow (and there's been only one ticket to get).

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Claudia D

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Amazing”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The food was really good, The service was amazing , We went for bunch on Mother's Day a very bust time, The Manager was really nice and went over & above for each & every person that dine on Mother's Day!, He handle everything very well got people seated in a timley manner.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank prettylady27610
St. Petersburg, Florida
“wedding Reception Dinner it was great.”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My Son had his wedding reception dinner for forty people it was great. We had a choice of three appetizers, three entrees, and two choices of desert. I had the Creamy Tomato and Basil soup and boy was it thick and creamy. I had the Pan Seared hanger steak and it was good. The wife had both the creamy Tomato and Basil soup and the house salad. The salad so so but loved the soup. She had the Chicken Parmesan and it was really good. She had Millionaire Pie a chocolate glazed peanut butter mousse on a graham cracker crust served with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. The help was there all the time to refill water, wine, beer, and mix drinks while you were at the table. In addition they went downstairs to get my wife non alcoholic beer. The people did everything they could to make it a wonderful experience. I am sure they would do the same for a dinner for two.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank rahz10000
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy hour deliciousness!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stumbled in 518 on a whim with my friend on a Wednesday afternoon. The first thing I noticed was how beautiful the interior is...spacious and warm! After I settled into a bar stool the bartender let me know that from 4-6pm certain appetizers only cost $5.18! Say no more, because we were starving and ready to feast. We ordered the mussels, crab dip, prosciutto wrapped asparagus and grilled shrimp. All I can say is that each dish was delicious from start to finish. The mussels in particular had so much flavor and thankfully they offered plenty of free focaccia to sop up the broth from the dish. The wine selection was plentiful and we settled on a nice rosé. All I can say is $20 (pre-tax&tip) for 4 amazing appetizers is the best deal I've found in Raleigh. I'll definitely be back soon!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jane B
“Every bite delicious”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate at 518 this evening 3/21/14 with another couple. We enjoy food very much and every bite we had was delicious. We had the fried calamari and crab dip and we liked the calamari best by vote, not that the crab dip wasn't great, but why don't restaurants give you more bread or pita points to go with your dip? For entrees I had the Wood-grilled Salmon, it was a very comfy pasta dish. My husband got the WoodGrilled Beef Tenderloin, he also has nothing but great things to say about it, our friend requested to substitute gnocchi instead of angel hair or something like that and our server was happy to change it, no problem, without having to consult the kitchen. Our server was also great, we never ran out of something to drink or eat. Their bread is handmade, you can tell. We also had 3 desserts at our table, we do love food. I can't say which was better, we all liked the crème brûlée, taramisu and millionaire pie equally. We did not leave hungry. Valet parking in minutes! Nice guys too.. We all had a very good time and we can't wait to try something new next time we visit, and we will.

Visited March 2014