“Great food, great atmosphere, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 518 West Italian Cafe - CLOSED

518 West Italian Cafe
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Glenwood Ave
Transit: R-Line stop is 1 block away.
Ireland
“Great food, great atmosphere, great service”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is one of those places that I don't get into enough. The staff knows their menu and specials and I've never gone wrong with their recommendations. The building is an old printing plant with nooks & crannies enough to allow for quiet conversation. When I'm in Raleigh on a Monday night they're a great place for half-price bottles of wine.

• Visited November 2013

Sunny Central Florida
“Great food, great service, great dessert ”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Went on recommendation from front desk at hotel we were staying at. Great choice. Our server was Arlyn. Ask for him - great recommendations on what to eat. Bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer on sautéed spinach perfect for sharing - 6 shrimp. Wife had shrimp and scallops on puff pastry. I had whole wheat fettuccine with chicken Marsala. We shared profiteroles for dessert. With 2 glasses of wine & 2 cappachinos and a 20% tip the bill for 2 was $81 and worth every penny. Delightful atmosphere. Will return when back in Raleigh area.

Los Gatos, California
“Wonderful Italian Restaurant - Quiet Atmosphere”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

On recommendation from a friend we decided to have a belated anniversary dinner. We were not dissapointed. The quiet atmosphere with plenty of space between tables was perfect. Wait staff was excellent. Food (Salmon and Shrimp Carbonara) was fantastic! Price was reasonable. Recommend this restaurant for couples in love.

Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Great potential but Pizzaman disappointed ;)”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Wow, I'm struggling with this one more than most. I want to like it, I really do, for it has all the trappings of my kind of perfect place, but in our book, they fell short on the one thing most important of all - the food, at least in our case, the pizza. I encourage you to read the below with this disclaimer, that if you've not tried them yet, do, absolutely, give 'em a try, especially if pizza's not the main thing you're going for.

Pros:
• Ambiance - off the charts. Converted old warehouse with brick walls, high entry ceiling, stained wood, upstairs seating area in a perimeter/loft/balcony style setting, perfectly dimmed lighting, simply stellar

• Service - first class, with complimentary valet and excellent hostesses and servers. Even had brief conversation with the chef, or at least the guy cooking the pizzas, and though he was quite busy politely answered a couple questions I had.

• Pricing - pretty reasonable, especially given the classier ambiance they're going for

Cons:
• Food - the only con. I love wood fired pizza and in fact greatly prefer it, but in this case, not at all, and what a shame - it looked to die for, with awesome looking toppings, and perfect hints of charred blackness on the crust edge. Firstly, the Italian sausage, a must in my book, but theirs is the most odd flavored I've ever had and while taste buds are unique, sorry but I absolutely detested this recipe, and trust me, I've had bunches in my day. Secondly, the crust. My guess is they had an off night for some reason, for I can't imagine them regularly serving crust that is not fully cooked in the center (very visibly doughy) but cooked perfectly on the bottom and edges, but that's exactly what we got. My wife got the veggie pizza and said her crust was exactly like mine, that the rest of it while not necessarily bad, wasn't great either, something she wouldn't order again.

Summary:
A restaurant with an abundance of style and ambiance, and a menu with tremendous potential. Who knows, maybe we'll be back, and try one of their other recipes - we saw two salads with the added chicken on them go by and they looked to die for.

• Visited September 2013
Raleigh NC
“Nice atmosphere, good food, great management”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were dining on the last weekend before our Living Social coupon expired, and the restaurant was busy. But every interaction we had with the staff was wonderful. They happily accommodated a last minute reservation change, and then when we arrived early, they rearranged the seating plans to seat us early.

Our waiter was wonderful...helpful not hovering. The food was good, from appetizers to desserts, and all was served promptly and at the right temperature. We were hoping for veal on the menu....maybe next time!

We had a misunderstanding in a special request for two of our entrees, but they made it right....and then some. I can't remember the last time a restaurant went so far to make sure their guests were accommodated.

Valet parking was efficient and convenient. Those guys were working hard!