“Not as Good as Last Time”

Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh
Reserve with OpenTable
Sullivan's Steakhouse - Raleigh is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,455 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Not as Good as Last Time”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

In my review from January 21, 2014, I praised Sullivan's for it food and service. This time the food was not of the same quality. We ordered from a three course prix fixe menu for $39.00 that was a good offering. The "Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail" consisted of three medium sized shrimp. A The shrimp was good but the haphazard appearance of the serving was less than appetizing. The "Crispy Shanghai Calamari" was swimming in a rich sweet sauce where a dipping sauce or sauce that had been passed over lightly would have been sufficient. The French Onion Soup was good but the lettuce used for the Caesar Salad had been around a while as it was wilted and the two croutons looked lonely in the salad. The 6 oz filet was cooked to the correct temperature but they were very stingy with the mashed potatoes. The salmon was served on three pieces of asparagus without sauce which the waitress brought when asked. This experience was very different from our last. This was a Tuesday night and I believe that had Chef Crawford seen our plates he would not have allowed them to have been served to his guests.

• Visited April 2014

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Consistently a great restaurant for celebration”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We love to go to Sullivans. The atmosphere is swanky and elegant with a touch of 'let your hair down'. The food is always superb as well as the service by the wait staff. I have never been disappointed with anything I've ordered at this restaurant. Their cocktails are incredible. You must try their signature cocktails. The steaks are always wonderful - the appetizers, salads and that yummy warm crusty bread. But there is this Banana cream pie dessert that is like nothing you've ever had before. Don't hesitate to go here when in need of a place to celebrate. I always request a booth-I like the privacy of it rather than being on the open floor.

• Visited February 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Anything outside of Steak isn't worth it”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I get it. I am related to meat eaters. That said, the shrimp and pasta dish wasn't very good and the bread was very stale. Service was very attentive. Obviously, I won't be back by my NC family members will. Bar service is really slow but everyone is really kind and nice so that makes up for slow and disorganization. If I go to downtown Raleigh again, no chance I am going to a chance.

• Visited April 2014
Raleigh
“Wonderful Dinner with Attentive Service”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Wife and I visited the downtown location in Raleigh on Saturday March 22.

We were seated promptly for our 5 pm reservation at a small table. For drinks, the wife ordered a Margarita and I had The Knockout. The pineapple infused martini was very refreshing with a rich head of foam. We both ordered a second round.

For apps it was the Cheesesteak Eggrolls and Braised Beef Ravioli. This was a no contest for best apps. The Cheesesteak Eggrolls were the bomb and very addictive. The Ravioli was rubbery with very little filling.

I did order the Fresh Spinach Salad for $4 extra with meal, but I was not impressed with the small limited toppings on the spinach.

Main meal consisted of the 12 oz filet for me and Strip Steak Au Poivre for the wife. Both steaks were ordered medium and the strip steak was cooked to order. The filet was cooked medium rare which after reading reviews I knew Sullivan's undercook their filet so medium rare was my goal. The filet was extremely flavorful and tender, but the steak knives Sullivan's provide are dull and useless for cutting a fine piece of meat. The knives tore the meat into chunks. Also, they use the same steak knife for cutting the bread they bring out at first setting. These old Outback knives should be sent back to original owners.

The wife loved her meal of fries with crab (lots-of-crab), but the steak was tough to eat and cut with the old Outback knives.

We ordered a side of Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Caramelized Cauliflower. Both dishes were delish and yummy.

The service at Sullivan's was exceptional and attentive. Our waitress did a great job of being prompt but not in your face and I appreciated her effort in service.

Sullivan's is a great steakhouse in downtown Raleigh for those special occasions for a nice dinner. Try it!

• Visited March 2014
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“First Class Steakhouse NOT in NYC”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Sullivan's Steakhouse is a perfect retro visit to the famous steakhouses of yore. White table cloths, sharp knives (event though you might not need it because of the tenderness of the steak), fantastic service, perfect shaken martinis and beautiful ambiance.
A real gem of the South.

• Visited February 2014