“Hotcakes As Big As Your Head”

Big Ed's City Market Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 1,525 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 12, 2014

While visiting family in Cary, we decided to take an excursion into Raleigh to get breakfast at Big Ed's. We arrived moments before they were closing down the restaurant for the day (I do hate to be the people who come in at the last minute, and usually avoid it, but they were extremely gracious about the whole thing - big points to them for that).

The atmosphere is like an interstate diner that collided with a yard sale. There's old tin signs, farming equipment, and folk art (such as an airplane constructed out of old Pepsi cans). Definitely an oddball country flair, which is something I appreciate.

We were seated and helped by a woman who was the epitome of Southern hospitality. Very warm and friendly, chatting with us, but not so much that it interfered with the serving process. The restaurant is famous for its giant hotcakes. I initially asked for two, and the server gave me a bit of a funny look. I have a pretty decent appetite, but I decided to go with the server's instincts - after all, how often do people at restaurants encourage you to spend less money?

I am very, very glad that I went with that suggestion. As I sipped my coffee (S&D, a national brand, but based in North Carolina, so a local favorite), the food was brought out to us. In addition to the hotcake that was as large as my head, not to mention almost an inch thick, I was also given a small sausage patty, also from a local company. The sausage patty was good, though a little overcooked (possibly overheld, considering that we were the last table to be seated and it was closing time), the link probably would have been the better option. The hotcake was also delicious - complimented well by the provided molasses and syrup on the table. If you have an average appetite, I'd definitely recommend sticking to just one. I have a fairly large capacity for food consumption, and I still struggled to finish off mine.

Everyone else at the table enjoyed their food quite a bit, as well - I was with a good number of family members, so forgive me if I don't recount each item ordered, though mine was not the only hotcake at the table. We finished up our food and departed for the rest of our day in Raleigh.

If you're looking for the Southern diner experience, Big Ed's will definitely give it to you - you'll spend less that $10 per person (unless you try hard), and you'll leave with enough food to get you through a good chunk of the day.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you like a classic Southern breakfast, Big Ed's is you place. Good biscuits, good eggs, and bacon. Not much on grits so I can tell you but my buddy seemed to like them

Reviewed August 9, 2014

The shrimp salad is excellent with a wonderful sauce and lots of shrimp. The service is good and the cook will prepare your order the way you like it. Just ask Sam.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

First time eating at Big Ed's was excellent. Not too far from the NC Museum of History. Lots of choices and prices reasonable. I always try collards when available; very good. Décor was ideal for playing "I spy" with the kids. Service was excellent; enjoyed the peach cobbler and banana pudding very much. Cannot wait to go back.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I ditched my sleeping friends and headed here for breakfast. As many other reviews have mentioned- yes there is a wait! But it wasn't that long.

It's a fun place with local flavor and ambiance. When I asked my server about the "pig brains" she threw her hand up and exclaimed "Oh honey! Around here we have a saying- we eat everything on the hog except the squeal and that's only cos we can't catch it." How funny!

I ordered the hot sausage patty, fried eggs, grits and a biscuit. It was tasty- but honestly not the best I have had.

But it's worth the trip for the experience.