“Fun local place”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I ditched my sleeping friends and headed here for breakfast. As many other reviews have mentioned- yes there is a wait! But it wasn't that long.

It's a fun place with local flavor and ambiance. When I asked my server about the "pig brains" she threw her hand up and exclaimed "Oh honey! Around here we have a saying- we eat everything on the hog except the squeal and that's only cos we can't catch it." How funny!

I ordered the hot sausage patty, fried eggs, grits and a biscuit. It was tasty- but honestly not the best I have had.

But it's worth the trip for the experience.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This very popular restaurant in City Market stays busy and offers both breakfast and lunch items. Southern atmosphere with all sorts of kitchen cookware, bicycles and various collector like items hanging from the ceiling. Ate here for lunch (you can have breakfast anytime) and they have a wide variety of Southern meats like Fried Chicken, Country Ham etc. and maybe a dozen vegetables. I decided to get the four vegetable plate and their mashed potatoes are real and excellent, as was the butter beans and cucumber salad. Their cornbread is maybe the best I have ever had. Service was extremely fast as apparently all their vegetables are ready to go. Their menu is pretty extensive but other than the vegetables most of the meats are just that Southern Style. If you are trying to lose pounds this is NOT the place to go.

If you are visiting Raleigh this place crowds up fast. Parking is available somewhat on the street (if you can find a place all is pay parking pretty much) but your better bet is to park in a deck. While you are here go into Arts Space and tour the City Market with its shops and cobblestone streets.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was the best breakfast I ever had. I ordered the sausage, eggs, grits and biscuits. My parents are from New Bern and Big Ed's served the local sausage which we always buy in bulk to take home. The grits were perfect (no lumps). The biscuits were ok but the serving sizes are large. I really enjoyed this breakfast, expect a wait, but the line moves fast and the service is excellent. This is a treat worth experiencing when you visit Raleigh, NC.

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Good ole fashioned country cooking! Hot cakes are no joke! One can feed 2 or 3 people!! Country atmosphere in the middle of the city has it's charm.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

This is the type of place where you're going to want the extra napkins, because you're going to need them for your amazing breakfast. It's great food, yes, but don't expect anything but your basic down-home, greasy breakfast. We're talking buttery biscuits, really crispy bacon, and the like. If you're there for a weekend, be prepared to wait, because lots of other folks will have the same idea. That also means that the place can be a bit raucous-- which is fine. Just know in advance that it's not the best place for intimate conversation or for watching your diet. It's not called "Little Ed's," after all.

Been to Big Ed's City Market Restaurant? Share your experiences!