“Breakfast at the legend”

Big Ed's City Market Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have been here a few times and although it is a very popular place with classic junk store decoration It has never made me say wow that was great. On my most recent visit In late April 2013 I ordered a simple hash with 2 eggs over medium. The hash didn't have the crisp edges I expected and the eggs came scrambled hard. If I were basing things on that single visit I would give 2 but with the past visits I think this was just an off day and 3 is a fair overall rating

Reviewed May 25, 2013

It's increasingly rare to find restaurants across Ammerica still serving regional favorites This is one such place and you just have to experience it. Southside Virginia and Eastern NC represent a distinct culture area with distinct dishes and you would never know it if you continue to go to those mega chain places threatening to McDonaldize America. I grew up in this area and never miss visiting this and Clyde Cooper's BBQ nearby. Mid Atlantic folks worhship breakfast and this is a holy temple to those who love it. First, you must have biscuits. Biscuits with butter, biscuits with red-eye gravy, biscuits with molasses, biscuits with sausage gravy.... Superb biscuits. And the freshest eggs, genuine country ham and sauage and grits if you want. Service has always been good and the large room is filled with antique farm items and tobacco memorabilia. Historically this entire region was supported by tobacco farming, but that's mostly history now so you can relax and enjoy the relics curiously hung by the hundreds from the ceiling. Formerly Big Ed himself greeted guests with his stomach pushing on his bib overalls which proved he ate his own product every day. But now it appears he is enjoying a well deserved retirement fishing. I've never had lunch there, but if I did it would be biscuits and eggs.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've lived in Raleigh for 11 1/2 years and had never heard of, let alone eaten at Big Ed's.
I was looking on Saturday night for somewhere to take my wife & the girls for Mother's Day breakfast.
Some quick Googling led me to reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp and they were spot on.
We got there a little before 8am and were immediately seated.
The decor is interesting (in a good way). I'd say it's like eating at a flea market & I mean that in a neat, fun way.
The food (the most important thing) was excellent. One of my girls got french toast & bacon & the other got the one hotcake & bacon. Both were excellent and the hotcakes are the size of a dinner plate. My wife also got one hotcake & bacon and shared it with our youngest.
If you get three hotcakes and finish them you get a t-shirt but that will be for another day.
I was a little more adventurous and got the Western Omelette which comes with the option of a number of different sides. I got the home fries and they were excellent (and a good size portion). It also comes with toast or biscuits & the biscuits were the right choice.

All in all, an excellent meal and experience.

The only negative, if you want to call it that, is that Big Ed's doesn't have a website.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went for Mother's Day. Just as good as the first visit. Southern breakfast. Nothing fancy, although they offer a ranges of meats to select from. Just a good solid breakfast. Service is ultra fast. Go early. It gets crowded but they seem to do a nice job turning tables.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went on a sunday morning and there was a line. I read about this place and wanted to give it a try,and the line moved pretty fast. They keep your coffee cup filled and the food is cheap, there happen to be a mix up with our order. They made it right by charging for only one breakfast, server was sorry for mix up. Cool with me! We would go there again.

Been to Big Ed's City Market Restaurant? Share your experiences!