“Nice setting for quiet dinner”
Review of Mo's Diner - CLOSED

Mo's Diner
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Dined here for the first time on a recent Saturday night with spouse. Quaint setting located in a small house in downtown Raleigh. Plenty of parking along the street. Waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu and nightly specials. We had scallops and red snapper and both were excellent. This is a small restaurant so you should call ahead and secure a reservation, as there is no bar to wait in. A few tables on the outside front porch would be nice in warmer weather.

1  Thank golfer082

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Before arriving at the restaurant, our experience started good. My wife has food sensitivities and she called about ingredients. The chef answered the phone, said she could accommodate, and that everything is made to order. When we arrived, the chef was expecting us and prepared a wonderfully delicious meal. I had the seafood stew and my wife had the rack of lamb. The grilled romaine salad was unique and something I would order again.

The restaurant is a quaint and comfortable place to have a great meal.

There is a pay lot next to the restaurant. Except on busy weekends, you should be able to find street parking.

2  Thank trusted-advice-1
Reviewed December 2, 2013

When you first get to Mo's Diner and park in the parking lot, you realize there is a strange man skulking in a car, who comes out and tells you have to insert money into a box to pay for parking. Very strange!
We had a dinner there for 8 people. In advance, I ordered two appetizers and two bottles of wine, and told the owner/chef "we're on a budget". Instead of bringing what I ordered, they delivered 8 appetizers to the table and there was a lot of waste. One appetizer per person is ridiculous. The waiter opened a third bottle of wine without consulting me (it was clear I was paying the bill). When I emailed to discuss the problem, the owner ignored my emails (she always responded when I was a prospective customer). I then called to discuss the problems and see if the owner could refund some of the extra charges I didn't authorize, but she argued with me even though our conversation was documented in email. She was laughing and very condescending. When I explained that the waiter should have asked first before opening a third bottle of wine, she told me when I open a restaurant I can run it however I want. At the end, when I was still trying to talk civilly to her, she hung up on me mid-sentence. I am a business owner myself and would never dream of treating a customer that way. I know that the "customer is always right," but especially in the food/restaurant industry. I am stunned that she would treat a customer that way. I will NEVER eat there again, and will tell anyone who asks for recommendations to avoid it like the plague.

4  Thank travelturtle2013
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Everything on the menu is cooked fresh. The atmosphere is delightful in an old house in downtown Raleigh. Service is superb.

1  Thank Cary C
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Mo's consistently pleases those seeking great food and a calm downtown atmosphere. It is like going to a fabulous chef's home for dinner. The seating is placed throughout the home to offer privacy, views and encourages conversations. All of our dishes from apps to dessert were wonderful, but the favorite was the melt in our mouth rack of lamb! the ingredients are always fresh and local. Holly's desserts are incredible, so be sure to save room ~ so worth the calories!! Delightful evening that will leave you asking why has it been so long since my last visit?!?

1  Thank nbdraleigh61