“Wonderful meal”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Before arriving at the restaurant, our experience started good. My wife has food sensitivities and she called about ingredients. The chef answered the phone, said she could accommodate, and that everything is made to order. When we arrived, the chef was expecting us and prepared a wonderfully delicious meal. I had the seafood stew and my wife had the rack of lamb. The grilled romaine salad was unique and something I would order again.

The restaurant is a quaint and comfortable place to have a great meal.

There is a pay lot next to the restaurant. Except on busy weekends, you should be able to find street parking.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank trusted-advice-1

Cary, North Carolina
“Be careful of extra charges!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

When you first get to Mo's Diner and park in the parking lot, you realize there is a strange man skulking in a car, who comes out and tells you have to insert money into a box to pay for parking. Very strange!
We had a dinner there for 8 people. In advance, I ordered two appetizers and two bottles of wine, and told the owner/chef "we're on a budget". Instead of bringing what I ordered, they delivered 8 appetizers to the table and there was a lot of waste. One appetizer per person is ridiculous. The waiter opened a third bottle of wine without consulting me (it was clear I was paying the bill). When I emailed to discuss the problem, the owner ignored my emails (she always responded when I was a prospective customer). I then called to discuss the problems and see if the owner could refund some of the extra charges I didn't authorize, but she argued with me even though our conversation was documented in email. She was laughing and very condescending. When I explained that the waiter should have asked first before opening a third bottle of wine, she told me when I open a restaurant I can run it however I want. At the end, when I was still trying to talk civilly to her, she hung up on me mid-sentence. I am a business owner myself and would never dream of treating a customer that way. I know that the "customer is always right," but especially in the food/restaurant industry. I am stunned that she would treat a customer that way. I will NEVER eat there again, and will tell anyone who asks for recommendations to avoid it like the plague.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank travelturtle2013
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
“Fresh, Delicious Dinner”
Reviewed November 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Everything on the menu is cooked fresh. The atmosphere is delightful in an old house in downtown Raleigh. Service is superb.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Cary C
“Calm before Bluegrass”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Mo's consistently pleases those seeking great food and a calm downtown atmosphere. It is like going to a fabulous chef's home for dinner. The seating is placed throughout the home to offer privacy, views and encourages conversations. All of our dishes from apps to dessert were wonderful, but the favorite was the melt in our mouth rack of lamb! the ingredients are always fresh and local. Holly's desserts are incredible, so be sure to save room ~ so worth the calories!! Delightful evening that will leave you asking why has it been so long since my last visit?!?

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank nbdraleigh61
“Amazing food”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited mo's for the first time a few days ago, and the food was absolutely amazing. We started with the carb cake app, grilled romaine salad, and pear Gorgonzola salad. All three were outstanding but the grilled romaine salad really stood out. It was so delicious and the dressing was like none we had ever eaten. It was very smoky and complemented the salad well. The crab cake had a nice crab flavor with a delicious remoulade sauce. The pear Gorgonzola salad was probably our least favorite but was still good. For entrees my wife had the shrimp chicken andouille rice and spicy tomatoes while I had the lamb chops. Our waiter, Juan-Carlos, actually recommended my wife's dish over the dry rubbed steak so we knew it had to be delicious, but it totally blew us away. It was absolutely amazing. It was sorta like a jambalaya but the flavors were so complex and layered perfectly. My lamb chops were also very good and came with some delicious garlic mashed potatoes and fried spinach. For dessert we shared the banana napoleon which was like a banana pudding only better. It was banana slices layered in phyllo dough with a sweet custard layered in. It was to die for. Overall this is probably one of the best meals we have had over the past 4 years of living in raleigh and I can't believe it took us this long to find such a great restaurant.

As for some of the previous reviews about the parking situation. There are multiple signs inside the restaurant stating the parking lot does not belong to the restaurant, even the back page of the menu is a huge statement about not parking in that lot. If people can't read the signs outside the lot, inside the restaurant, and on the menu then they deserve a ticket.

Visited September 2013