“Very good tapas place. Excellent food and atmosphere”
Review of Humble Pie

Humble Pie
Ranked #77 of 1,447 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Germantown, Maryland
“Very good tapas place. Excellent food and atmosphere”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Went here with a few friends. Sat outside during a half price wine night. Scallops, hummus, and guacamole all very fresh and good. Our three favorite of what we ordered. Friendly service, nice atmosphere, and entire party wants to come back. A nice light meal and entertaining experience.

Durham, NC
“Wonderful food and service in downtown Raleigh”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I dined here on a Friday night, making a reservation at very short notice (less than three hours before dining) via the website. On arrival, my dining partner and I were welcomed inside and shown to a table immediately. This was the first indication of the good service I was to experience at Humble Pie.

Glasses of water were brought to us within a couple of minutes of sitting down. I noticed the interior of this restaurant was casual, but not casual with round paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling and large pieces of art (abstract?) hanging on the walls. The ambience was not stuffy and staff were friendly, patient and knowledgeable. I've found it rare to find restaurant staff like this these days.

Without asking, we were handed the single page menu and the server (a cheerful Latina) explained the menu consisted of tapas. When asked how many we should order (as this was our first visit), she suggested four dishes between the two of us. The menu was divided into two with one section devoted to seafood based tapas. The menu also included identified vegetarian and dishes that were served underdone or raw.

It took us quite some time to order our four dishes as we were intrigued by some of the descriptions. In the end we ordered tetilla cheese with fried lavosh (sic), seared ahi tuna with rice, shrimp and grits (as I love this dish and was curious how this would be interpreted) and pork lettuce wraps. The menu explains that dishes are brought out as soon as they are prepared which seemed fine to us as we were hungry.

The tetilla cheese dish came out first and it was not quite as I expected. The cheese was completely melted, a puddle really with six pieces of fried lavosh (pita-like bread but without the pocket) used to scoop up the cheese. This was pretty tasty but my least favorite of the four dishes. Before finishing this first dish, the pork lettuce wraps were served. For tapas, this was a sizeable dish and nearly enough for one person. There was plenty of Asian style marinated pork, maybe five bibb lettuce leaves, some grated carrot and a dipping sauce. This was a tasty dish but a little messy to eat.

Third to appear at our table was the seared ahi tuna that came sliced (six slices I think) on some possibly Thai (not Japanese) rice. This was a simply presented dish but my favorite of the four. The tuna was definitely fresh and not too seared so I could taste and feel the texture of the raw tuna. This dish would have been elevated had there been a little pickled ginger included as garnish.

The fourth and final tapas served was the shrimp and grits that included "broth of the gods". Like the pork tapas, this was a pretty sizeable portion for tapas with six perfectly cooked shrimp (not tough and rubbery) with creamy grits and the aforementioned broth. The broth was not, in my opinion. worthy of the gods, but that could just be me. It was somewhat flavorful but nothing memorable.

I should mention that the two of us were eating each dish tapas style so we shared all the dishes. The pork lettuce wraps and shrimp and grits did not lend themselves well to being shared. We should have asked for a second bowl for the latter dish so we could have each eaten it easier.

Despite my dining partner's reservations that we had ordered too much food, we both were in the mood for dessert so we ordered one each. I chose the olive oil cake (one of the two desserts recommended by our server) and my partner ordered the flourless chocolate cake.

Both desserts were brought out together by a young man who miss-discribed the olive oil cake as the bread pudding, the third and only other dessert. I looked at him and before I could say anything, he apologized for his error and made a joke saying, "I should have a coffee". The manner in which he handled his error was just fine and another example of the fine service I experienced at Humble Pie.

In my opinion, the desserts were the weakest dishes in the meal. The olive oil cake tasted fine and the flourless chocolate cake was good too but not as memorable as the four tapas.

Overall, I was very happy with my dining experience at Humble Pie. The cost for the dinner for two of us for four tapas, two desserts and two beers came to $74.00 which is reasonable for the quality and quantity of food. The amount may seem high to some but two of the tapas were seafood based and those tapas are amongst the most expensive on the menu.

I would most definitely return to Humble Pie for a meal. Parking may be an issue as there is on limited on street parking outside the restaurant and parking lot (for a fee) within sight of the restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
Midlothian, Va
“Good brunch place”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Came to Humble Pie for Sunday brunch and was not disappointed . Simple menu had interesting twists as well as classics . Sausage and polenta and shrimp and grits were excellent . Fun place to stop on a Sunday am

Visited July 2014
Cary, North Carolina
“Excellent food and Service”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I highly recommend to visit this place on Wednesday nights. Nice live jazz, outstanding service and great food.

• Visited July 2014
Florida
“Excellent Food, good Flavor!”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Loved it, 1st time, will be back
Lots of dishes, so much flavor on the tapas size plates
Great Beer prices!