“Not at all what we expected!”
Review of Porter's Tavern - CLOSED

Porter's Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Wow.... Not a good evening at all! The pork nachos came out cold and the pork was very fatty. The fried green tomatoes were covered in pimento cheese and not appetizing. The service was so slow and our waitress never checked back in. The filets were not a good cut of meat and very charred. They were not cooked to correct temp and NO ONE checked back in on us. The sides were good. The salads were fine. The dessert menus were so old and dirty that we decided to just leave. Very disappointed in the meal and service.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After touring NC State, my hubby and I settled here for a cold glass of white wine and appetizers. We actually ended up meeting some of the professors and current students. The ambience was nice but, because the school is just up the street, everything feels more casual and laid back -- in a good way. The husband had a cheeseburger and fries and I tried a specialty salad that the server recommended. Both were excellent. The service was fast, efficient, and everyone seemed genuinely happy to be right where they were, whether working or relaxing. We were happy to be there too, even after our seven hour drive and lengthy tour of the school. It is exactly what a tavern should be, but with better food and service than you'd expect.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is one of the good dining options in the NC State area. The design is updated and contemporary and so is the food. Everything was very good!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Porter's is very popular with administrators, faculty, and staff from across the street--it's convenient to main campus, the environment is conducive to business conversations, and the food is definitely way better than a standard campus area eatery. I am particularly partial to their salads, although the massive Reuben is hard to beat for a hearty winter meal. I've always been pleased with the food and the service and so definitely recommend it as one of the better restaurants in that part of Raleigh, particularly for lunch.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our second visit to Porter's. There are plenty of comfortable seats at upscale wooden tables in an attractive atmosphere. The lighting is soft and cozy, close to romantic but our family felt quite comfortable. The whole restaurant is clean and in good general repair. Parking is tight on Hillsborough Street, but the spaces turn over quickly and there is ample parking behind most of the businesses along the strip. Parking has not been an issue for us during our visits to State. As for the food, my favorite item on the menu is the tempura dipped fried green beans. I didn't ask, but they appear to be hand made and are served in a paper cone in a silver bucket with a dipping sauce that reminds one of the dip that accompanies a "blooming onion" The French Fries are presented similarly and were cooked perfectly. Ketchup came in a small side car for dipping. Our meals included an adequate but unremarkable Casear salad and an impressive order of shrimp tacos that were filled with lightly fried shrimp. We will order these again. The menu is somewhat limited which I am sure allows for faster better service but is still reasonably varied. For dessert we had a mediocre tasting s'mores cheesecake topped with marshmallow. A bit too delicate overall and not cheesecakey enough. Excellent crust though. Next time we will try the sorbet. I felt like the prices were low to reasonable for the quality of the cuisine and the superior environment. The management staff gave nice greetings, parting remarks, and even held the door for us. The only downer was the relative indifference of our server. She was fast and efficient, keeping drinks filled and empty plates cleared, but her disposition made me feel like I was a burden. She never engaged us in even the simplest conversation or askd any question other then as expressly applied to the transaction. This could be by design, sort of a "Bohemian" thing, but it was a turn off for me. Still, I tipped over 20% as technically the service was better then I have come to generally expect. We will return. I recommend for a date, a few drinks with friends and family dinners. Stop in!