“DOn'T let the funky exterior sway you. This joint is the real deal for fine food on the cheap! best no”
Review of Oakwood Cafe

Oakwood Cafe
Ranked #249 of 1,493 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Argentinean, Cuban, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2014

One of the 6 best steakhouses in the whole triangle. and they don't even advertise the steaks. have been here many times and have never been disappointed.Norberto the owner is Argentine and is a very personable chef. His specialty is Italian but everything I've ever had there is magnificent. The fact that the food is about half price compared to the high priced restaurants in downtown Raleigh is a welcome treat. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My kid has been trying to go here for over a year. I finally took her. Their hours are longer now. Great for family, friends, solo or couples. Nice cozy atmosphere, has patio seating for great weather.
Food was good, service prompt and friendly.

Need to work something out for parking. Limited spaces and I did not feel safe backing into the street. Glad I didn't drink.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had the traditional Cuban sandwich with sweet plantains and tostones. All 3 were perfectly authentic and tasted great. Service was ok. Great value for food. Small bathrooms with no changing table for infants.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have driven by the restaurant probably 100 times. The building and parking always made us second guess stopping for dinner. The recent addition of the outdoor patio and outside renovations hit us at just the right time so we stopped. I have always been a fan of churrasco steak and this one was top notch! Soft and cut like butter! My husband had the Cuban sandwich and he said it was great too. I found the wine selection adequate and we ordered an Argentina bottle. Overall, the experience was comfortable and reinforced that local places are worth stopping at.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having looked at a few expensive and/or boring looking restaurants in Raleigh during our day sightseeing, we had given up and started leaving when at a junction off the beaten track we saw this not at all fancy looking Cuban/Argentinian restaurant, with parking right in front. As we've never had such food before, we decided to try it despite the inauspicious looks.

It was pretty full, the menu was interesting- we all 4 had dishes we had never had before- either the way the meat was cooked, the vegetable dishes or even drinks we had not tried. So- I can not comment relative to experts in Cuban/Argentinian cuisine, but we have eaten very widely around the world and the food was uniformly excellent. Every item was well cooked (my steak melted in the mouth it was so good, better than some I have had in top steak restaurants on occasion).