“Everything Done Right”

Vic's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #44 of 1,444 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Everything Done Right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a party of four and found our way to Vic's in City Market. We had reservations and they were ready for us. Fairly small restaurant but they planned well. We arrived and they seated us promptly. The waitress was very welcoming and took care of us from start to finish. After finishing off some delicious salads, we jumped into our main courses. The table had a mix of penne dishes and linguini dishes. For me, I had manicotti. If you're going to serve Italian, you have to get the traditional foods right and this is my usual test. They got it right. Great mix of pasta, cheeses, and sauces. Very tasty. And just the right portion. When it was time to leave, I felt satisfied but not stuffed. But before leaving, I spent a few minutes talking with the owner, Mario, who was very visible and active and open to customers the entire time. He thanked us all for coming in and invited us back. With a great meal, great service, and overall great experience, yes Mario, we'll be back.

1 Thank jwellsman

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not what it used to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have eaten at Vic's many times in the past and this is the first time I have been disappointed. The pizza was not good. Usually it is wonderful with a thin crust and served hot. This time it was warm, thick and doughy with very little sauce. We asked for more sauce and the waitress looked annoyed but did slap down a dish without asking why we wanted more. They were busy but I've been here when it was slammed and the food didn't suffer. I wonder if they have a new cook. I will probably try again as it may just have been an off night. I hope so.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Susan W
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Rude Management! Made my Daughter Cry!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Worst restaurant experience in years!! Maybe ever. We'd heard and read quite a few bad reviews about this place but circumstances prevailed this evening and we thought we'd give it a try. The owner/manager (older man who sits in front and apparently regularly mistreats customers) actually made my 7 year old daughter cry by the way he was speaking to me. The restaurant was 3/4 empty at 5:45 this evening when we arrived and as we thought we were being seated, I mentioned how busy they may get later with the Living Social coupon. The man who was seating us stopped and asked if we had a reservation. When I said no, he then said he wouldn't be able to seat us without a reservation. I asked how that could be since the place was more than half empty and he was going to give us a table until I mentioned the coupon. He said the coupon required reservations and then the older man/owner/manager who was seated halfway across the restaurant surrounded by papers started hollering at me from the table about how they always require reservations (not true since we've dined there before and have NEVER had reservations). Then when I asked why they were going to give me a table until I mentioned the Living Social coupon, a large, burly female staff member walked right up to me and started telling me that they were not going to seat me because they were booked for the evening with reservations. I was in total disbelief as I stood there surrounded by empty tables with my two children (my husband hadn't arrived yet) and these staff members attacked me for having an honest question and valid point of view. A very nice party of people then walked in and saw what was going on after they were greeted rudely, too. One incredibly thoughtful lady in that party started to comfort my daughter who had started to sob quietly as she nestled against my side and this kind lady told the staff that they were being unnecessarily rude (God Bless that woman!!). She and the gentleman she had walked in with started talking about going somewhere else because they didn't have reservations either when yet another staff member, a tall, younger man in gym shorts and tshirt walked up and said they could have a table if they promised to leave by 7pm when there lots of reservations. The lady said they had planned on the pizza there but didn't want to cut in front of me and my children. Then the burly woman who said she was the manager interjected that their party had 6 people so they could have a table but our party had 4 people so we couldn't have that table. We then asked AGAIN why we couldn't be seated at one of the many other empty tables. The burly woman relented and said they would seat us. By now, it is 6pm and we'd been there for 15 minutes. The party of 6 people were still given a table before us and we were made to wait at least 5 more minutes before the younger man in gym shorts came to seat us. Right behind him, was the old man/owner again to berate me for not having a reservation. In about as stern a voice as I could allow with my children present, I looked him right in the eyes and held my finger up to my mouth and said, "Sssshhhh! You need to stop making my daughter cry." He went on for a few more seconds before the gym shorts man who had left us once again to go seat yet another couple without reservations got in between us and got the angry old man to leave us alone. Of course, I thought about leaving but at this point (more than 20 minutes since we'd walked in to a mostly empty restaurant), my children were starving and were promised pizza. When we were seated, we were given the conditions that we must be done by 7pm and we couldn't use our Living Social coupon. Not the smartest business people, they sat us at a table right at the front door where all the customers could see my daughter sobbing and sitting on my lap as I comforted her and now her younger brother was shaken and snuggling against her. My husband walked in and helped comfort the children and peeled them off me and then Stephanie, our waitress, arrived. She was noticeably mortified at how we'd been treated and went out of her way to help comfort the children and brought some bread right away and kept their apple juices filled. She went and submitted their pizza order while my husband and I decided what to have. She did explain that the older rude man was retiring soon after we told her that we'd heard bad reports on him before. Even though we were furious, my husband and I just wanted to get our children (who are extremely well-behaved in restaurants because we don't tolerate any poor behavior from them when dining out) fed and out the door. Stephanie was wonderful at trying to smooth things over. My husband and I joked about the possibility that, of course, they would honor our Living Social coupon now that we were eating to make up for the unpleasant experience, especially when the first man who was going to seat us showed up with dessert menus at 6:51 pm. We reminded him that we'd agreed to be gone by 7pm to make room for the reservations and wouldn't have time for dessert. There were still at least 6 empty tables around us (it's not a big place) but we just really wanted to get the heck out of there. They charged our bill in full even though honoring our Living Social coupon which was completely valid (hadn't expired) would have worked out just fine at this point since there were empty tables and we didn't interfere with any of their reservations. We paid the ridiculous bill, gave Stephanie a 30% tip in cash and left at 7pm exactly with no one waiting and plenty of open tables behind us. Now that I am home and reading all of the various bad reviews on City Search, Yelp, Google, etc. I regret having ever purchased the Living Social coupon (they are more hassle than they are worth) and will never go back to Vic's again which is only 8 blocks from our home in downtown Raleigh. SAVE YOURSELF THE RISK OF A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND DON'T GO TO VIC'S! The food was nothing to write home about but, of course, our shaken selves probably didn't enjoy it much based on this incredibly bad experience which we now realize is just one of many, many bad experiences others have had at Vic's.

4 Thank Kim S
Cary, North Carolina
“A little gem.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I am always reluctant to review good restaurants because once word gets out the "wait times" typically get longer. But this little gem of a restaurant most definitely deserves some praise. The good - the food is always good, most times - excellent. The atmosphere is charming, the staff is friendly, this a family owned business and they try to make your dining experience a good one. While I wouldn't call the pizza "authentic NY style" it is very good non the less and they have gluten-free pizza, something you absolutely cannot find in the Raleigh area. The bad - they only serve beer and wine, and the restaurant itself is a bit small. We frequent this restaurant often and recommend it to family and friends.

Raleigh
“Outstanding Italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

The food here is so authentic and delicious. Best pizza, great pasta and nice selection of wine and beer. (have italian). We have been coming here for 11 years, and it gets better every time. Staff are super friendly and take great care of you. Our server Sherri is the best. She treats us like family. We especially enjoy sitting outside. Has a city vibe. Certain nites they have live music, which is very enjoyable. Go enjoy, good for couples, family and friends.