“A traditoinal sub shop across from NC State Univ.”
Review of Sadlack's Heroes - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sadlack's Heroes
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A traditoinal sub shop across from NC State Univ.”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Been at this location for more than 35 years and still going strong. Relaxed atmosphere, good food, and reasonable prices.

Visited October 2013

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“An Alternative Legend, Swallowed Up by Progress”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

RIP Sadlack's Heros

Progress, in the name of development has finally taken over Sadlack's Heroes. While I am hardly what one would consider an alternative personality, I, like many others, came to love and cherish what Sadlack's stood for... Being yourself amongst a group of other people being their very best and very odd selves. Sometimes… often times… that meant eclectic, brazen, brilliant, misunderstood, lauded, and ignored folks knowingly gathered to catch a beer, a sandwich, a sunny day and/or some tunes from some of the area's most deservedly-unknown musical talents.

The food was pretty much standard sandwich fare, always delicious but typically nothing that couldn't be repeated elsewhere. However, there is one exception on the menu that epitomizes the establishment: The Shut Up and Eat It. Just order the sandwich, and eat whatever shows up on your plate. And pay whatever they charge you. And if you don't like it, shut up. And then you have captured everything that is Sadlack's.

Few places had the character or the scope of patrons that Sadlack's had... I can only hope that Raleigh can channel and maintain that character within itself, as one of the great landmarks of Hillsborough St gives way to another tower of who-really-cares-what.

There is still Players Retreat down the street. It may be the closest thing that you'll find in terms of local heritage and history... And maybe a few odd birds.

• Visited February 2014
Durham, North Carolina
“Too bad it may be going”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Recently announced in the newspaper that this location may be going to other development, and this after Sadlack's redo... A shame. Great, diverse place as other reviewers have said.

• Visited August 2013
Hudson, Ohio
“Really Enjoyable Lunch!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were in town doing a college visit at NC State. Wanted to "taste" the local flavor, so stopped here for lunch. They have a parking lot right behind the restaurant which made the stop that much easier. You can also see that they have a lot of outside seating, which I'm sure the college kids take advantage of especially in the evening. Other reviews I read said that it was a bar that served food, but I guess I was caught by surprise when I walked in and discovered that there aren't any real tables, just the bar. The curved bar takes up most of the room, but they added a shelf with bar stools that goes around the outer edge of the room for "additional" seating if you will. So sitting at the bar is pretty much the only option unless you don't mind sitting on a backless stool for lunch.

Dave was super friendly and in no time we had our menus. Good selection of a variety of sandwiches, I ordered a reuben, my daughter a corned beef, and my son a hamburger. We were watching the Olympics on the TV's, but Dave also kept us entertained and answered questions about life in Raleigh, the school, etc. The sandwiches were awesome - what I loved about mine in particular is that it wasn't what you normally see in restaurants these days. It wasn't piled so high with meat and toppings that you couldn't pick it up let alone eat it. It was just perfect - a good helping of meat and toppings that was easily manageable and so delicious! The homemade chips were good too - a nice touch. We really enjoyed our meal here and would love to go back if we lived in the area.

• Visited August 2012
Greenville, North Carolina
“Sadlack's Service is Superior”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

While at NC State for a visit, my daughter and I had lunch at Sadlack's Heroes on Hillsborough Street across from the Bell Tower. The lady behind the bar was friendly and prompt with the great food. She should instruct other restaurants on the way to deliver great customer service on a busy day. Kudos! Sadlacks exceeded our expectations. It may be small but the service is great. Thanks!

• Visited January 2012