“Great Italian Find -- The best places are sometimes in the least expected place”

Bella Monica Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bella Monica Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 1,444 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2009

This little gem of an Italian restaurant is nestled into a strip shopping center, and from the outside you'd never know what culinary delights await you inside.

Most recently my wife and son and I went on a Friday evening. We were lucky to get a table but showing up early made it happen.

First, the Caesar salad is served with these unique dried capers... just wonderful. The dressing is of the classic variety -- not the creamy imposter found in so many restaurants -- and is applied fairly sparingly as my wife and I prefer.

This time my wife ordered the bolognese with one of their homemade pastas. We've had many versions of bolognese and this was perhaps the most unique we've had. It was more tomato-y than many, and had a kind of sweet-ish character. It got more complex with each bite and I must say that, while we weren't quite sure about it at first, by the end of the meal we were completely sold.

I ordered the pork saltimbocca, which is a port tenderloin pounded and wrapped around prosciutto and cheese with fresh sage with a mushroom sauce. Although it was a little on the salty side, I have to say it was simply delicious and probably one of the best meals I've had in Raleigh.

My son ordered a kid's pizza and while many places treat the kids menu as an afterthought, I'd have been happy with the pizza they brought out. Thin, crispy crust, perfect blend of sauce and cheese.

All in all I'd say we'll definitely be back again and again.

Raleigh
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian food around with amazing ambiance and service too!”
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I rarely write reviews but considering how much my husband and I frequent Bella Monica, I figured I had to give them their due. In short, it is an amazing restaurant not to be missed on any trip to the Triangle (and well worth the drive if you are not in Raleigh). First of all, the staff is divine and always make you feel like family--even when waiting for a table! Second, the food! Oh. My. Goodness. Everything is spectacular but their meat lasagne (8 layers of pasta!) is what kept us coming back originally. For those on a tighter budget, they also have a wonderful array of flatbread pizzas in fun and interesting combinations (including crab, eggplant, and pesto, etc.) The ambiance is very cozy and finally, their desserts are not to be missed. Any good Italian restaurant needs to have excellent tiramisu and Bella Monica is no exception but they also have a rotating selection of sorbets, gelatos, and a myriad of other sweet treats.

All in all, if there is one Italian restaurant you go to while in North Carolina, Bella Monica should be it. You will not be dissapointed!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed November 27, 2008

lasagna was PIPING hot

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Raleigh, North Carolina
“This place is great....always good food, sometimes hard to get in, especially if there is a function at the RBC Center...”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This place is great....always good food, sometimes hard to get in, especially if there is a function at the RBC Center, but has a great outside patio area, bread, pizza, pasta, its great!