“Best Steaks in Raleigh”

Ranked #7 of 1,493 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is our favorite restaurant! We have been to Flemings, Mortons, Sullivans... they are all wonderful. But the Angus barn is the best. From the complimentary relish tray and cheese and crackers before the meal, to the excellent service, fantastic steaks, and impressive wine cellar, to the outstanding desserts (sawdust pie!) and cigar area in the "Meatlocker," this is our go to place for special occasions. Don't forget to pick up the complimentary apple on your way out the door. Just a guaranteed good time!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Hadn't been here for quite some time; will defintely not stay away so long! The barn decor provides a unique atmosphere; we were in a back room, so wasn't as noisy as the main dining area. Excellent service from the time we walked in, til we were out the door! Complimentary cheese and crackers already on the table (delish!), and a relish tray. We had a little drip in the ceiling above our table; server noticed and moved us without us asking; although not necessary,brought us a complimentary appetizer as an apology! All steaks were cooked to perfection, the ribs fell off the bone and melted in your mouth; salmon was moist and flavorable, one even had a pasta dish she said was excellent! Huge portions; needed a couple of "to go" boxes. The $$$ is a little more than most restaurants in this area, but an excellent meal with superb service justified the cost for a special occasion. Want something more casual & more reasonable in cost, go upstairs to their lounge for drinks and appetizers; still great atmosphere.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I guess a barn should be a bit loud. I found that to be acceptable, but the price is high for the quality of the food and I found some of the vegetables were not the best quality. Specifically the sweet peas were too big (over ripened), and the mashed potatoes were too mushy for my taste. The meat was tender and cooked perfectly but was a bit fatty considering what I expected. The waitress was wonderful. The tea is nothing less than terrific. Like I said, it's very good but not great. I'll try something different when I go back to Raleigh.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

It's not cheap, so you expect a good meal....The wine list is bottomless, 80+ pages to choose from. I picked a Two Hands Shiraz, very smooth. Filet Mignon, with bacon wrap and Roquefort, Spot on. Asparagus side, perfect!
But, the surprise starts with a tour of wine cellar. The cellar is fine, the private rooms are interesting. The entry is through the main kitchen, now that's fascinating. Hot and busy, just like on TV! The tour gives you that connection to the family ownership and the passion for the business. Just when you think it's over you stumble on the Captains table, in a smaller kitchen. (I need to book that table, some time) Lastly, you find the meat locker....and the firepit....Cigars and an aperitif to end the evening.

The tour turns dinner into an event. Do it, because it's worth it.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I would think good for all size parties and occasions, but we had a big party and found the service exceptional. They brought us an appetizer of plates of ribs and garlic bread, very tasty.The bacon-wrapped petite filet was tender and cooked to perfection. I finished with the Sawdust Pie which I thought was DRY, could have used a bit ice cream to moisten. As this was a business function, I did not see the bill or a menu so not too sure of price point but judging by the crowds, I suspect must be a good value. The place is kitschy, has old-word charm.

Been to The Angus Barn? Share your experiences!