“Depends how you dine”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Cary, North Carolina, United States
“Depends how you dine”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've been to the Angus Barn a number of times over the past 10 years. Some of the visits have been exceptional other just average. Let me break it down:

Service: I have never experienced anything but great service at the Angus Barn. We've celebrated a number of birthdays and our kids have always been allowed to visit the kitchen to decorate the cake. The kids love (skittles/gummy bear covered cake is another story). We had a Mother's Day reservation for 20 several years ago. When we showed up we were told that they were overbooked. Instead of having us wait, they provide a private room in the Wine Cellar for our party and treated us very well.

Ambience:
There's a lot to look at within the restaurant, but it is very loud in the main dining room. You're not going to have a romantic evening in the main room. For couples, I'd try to get a table in the Kitchen which is cool or eat up in the Turkey Bar. Bartender's are great and it's much quiter.

Food:
Here's where I have a bit of a problem. On one hand, I like the fact that you get a vegetable and starch with your meat selection. On the other, I've had better steaks at other restaurants in Raleigh (Sullivan's, for instance). I've never had a drop-dead, great steak at the Angus Barn.

In summary, the Angus Barn is a fun place to go with a group. The service is great, Prices are high and the food is okay (not spectacular). If a great steak is your focus, try Sullivans.

• Visited August 2013

Durham, North Carolina
“A business meeting regular”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

One of the standard, expense account, places for business meetings and good for that purpose. As other reviewers have said, possibly not up to its reputation for a couples/family evening out or a family event such as a birthday, although the AB gets a lot of that business. Just look around the place if there. An RTP regular since the 1950s (before there was an RTP), to my knowledge.

• Visited December 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Mediocre, Overpriced Steak”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

First, read the previous review by BroadwayK. In many ways it parallels my experience, though I have no idea who he is.

The setting is impressive, but the food, at least mine, was largely mediocre. Service was ok, unless you consider that the waiter brought the wrong bottle of wine. At least it was unopened.

The cheese spreads and thin crackers were good. I ordered French Onion Soup as the included first course. It was decent, but not great. I then ordered the Rib Eye, medium rare. It came almost medium. And had very little flavor. Definitely not a first rate steak. The baked potato with all the "fixins" was very good. But I can do that at home.

The evening was enjoyable, mainly because of the company and the atmosphere. I will go back, but will NOT order another steak. For this kind of money, I'll go to Ruth Chris where I can enjoy eating a really good steak.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DiveDog13
Raleigh, NC
“Overrated Raleigh Landmark Disappoints”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

After being a Raleigh resident for over a decade, I finally made it to The Angus Barn. While this was a special trip for a friend's birthday, I didn't go out of my way in terms of distance. I live just a few miles away and pass The Angus Barn multiple times each day. Over the years, I have heard many people comment on this restaurant as being a landmark and a must dine for those who love their red meat. I've also been to other steak restaurants in the area, Flemming's (Crabtree Mall area) and Ruth's Chris (Durham location across from Southpoint Mall), and after last night's dinner I don't intend to return to The Angus Barn. I was less than pleased with the atmosphere, our party was in the back left corner of the restaurant, lighting was not ideal, and neither was the loud noise from other parties and a radio that we just couldn't figure out why the volume constantly oscillated which caused some distraction during our dinner. For $40 (before tax and tip), my meal consisted of: a choice of salad (I went with the Caesar, which comprised of very dull/limp romaine lettuce, tasteless cheese, and was doused with dressing - I didn't even finish half - and I am known for being a member of the clean plate club), 10 oz filet mignon (cooked well to my medium rare request, but was so charred on the outside I really just tasted burned grill flavors - the meat itself was lacking flavor entirely), and a choice of side (my choice was the baked potato which also looked like it had been burned in a fire out back). The other members of my party also received very dark filet mignons (3 out of 5 ordered the 10 oz filet) and their steaks were no different. Had this not been the overall trend of their cooking style at my table, I would have sent it back. However, it was also my friend's birthday and the last thing I felt like doing was making a scene over my charred steak. Service was very average and was not a standout as I would have expected. I would like to point out a positive aspect of the dinner, which was the free cheese and crackers. The Angus Barn spreadable cheese and homemade crackers are absolutely addictive. You can buy them separately in the restaurant's store and save yourself the cost of a mediocre dinner, or enjoy them in the restaurant's bar with a drink. As a Raleigh resident, please take my advice. Save yourself from this tourist trap and stick to the steak chains in the local area - you'll have a much better experience, improved ambiance, and leave feeling like your meal was worth the price.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank BroadwayK
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Big event, bigger success”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I recently planned a huge event at The Pavilions at The Angus Barn. We had a party for approximately 400 people, and the folks at the AB made the whole thing easy. The food was excellent - as always - and the staff was incredibly friendly. I'd strongly recommend taking advantage of the Pavilon for your next big event.

Visited September 2013

Been to The Angus Barn? Share your experiences!