“Atmosphere Galore”

Ranked #15 of 1,526 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have been here several times in the past during our visits to Raleigh. This restaurant is highly recommended by the locals. It was established some time ago and has grown in size and reputation the entire time. Don't be alarmed by the huge parking area and number of cars found there. This restaurant has a number of dining rooms and events areas, and they seem to be equipped to handle it all at once. Our server told us that there is at least one kitchen on each level. The atmosphere is a rustic, casual elegance and done well. Despite its size, the dining rooms seem intimate. Service has always been friendly and more than competent. Some of the employees have remained here for many years, I am told. Free appetizers of delicious cheese blends, olives, and crackers are to be found in several locations, and a quick glance into the bar showed a lot of guests enjoying themselves there. As one would expect, the beef here is really quite good. The sides, which impressed me in the past, were not up to my expectations, however. My Caesar salad was lackluster on this visit and the garlic potatoes were lukewarm and a bit dry. The rest of my group were very content, however.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,205)

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Definitely worth a visit a visit - as this is a "one of a kind" place ( more below ) - but it definitely had some major flaws.

Interesting "homey" atmosphere - a cross between Cracker Barrel and an English Manor. At 67,000 square feet - the largest restaurant I've had the pleasure to visit. Basement room was great for our large crowd, but it was a bit odd that the only way to get there was through the kitchen.

Service was professional, efficient, and friendly. The food however had issues: The large appetizer sampler they brought in looked great at first - but they put hot crabcakes and ribs in the same platter - on a bed of ice - with shrimp and rock crab - resulting in half warm and half cold & soggy crab cakes and ribs :-(.

Also - while I'll take part of the blame for ordering fish at a place famous for steak - I have to say that the grilled "sashimi grade tuna" that I ordered was without a doubt the worst piece of fish I have ever eaten in any restaurant. Waaaaay overlooked and very unappealing flavor.

If I go back - I'll stick with steak (and maybe stop by their humidor and enjoy the warm Carolina weather).

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I ate here April 2013 with a friend as Angus Barn comes highly recommended by the locals as a great place to eat. I'm happy to say I wasn't let down and that I plan to visit this place again when I next return!

The food here was great, as was the service and the atmosphere. It was quite busy (to be expected given its popularity), however we were still served promptly and didn't have to wait for service.

The price is quite high, though you do get what you pay for. The food was delicious and they have a great selection of wine as well. The dessert tray they bring around looks so good its tempting not to order everything from it!

Overall this is a great restaurant with food and service to match. If you are in the area I highly recommend you pay it a visit :-)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was a while ago, but it has always been good quality for the money. I always liked their rolls and salads as well as the dessert. Nice atomosphere too.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We only had lunch at the Angus Barn. Including food, drinks, and tip, we spent over $60. It was worth every penny. We ate in the Wild Turkey Lounge. The relish/cheese bar was excellent and my New York Strip sandwich was out of this world. It's been years since I have eaten at the angus barn, but I would really love to go back for a full dinner. This is a special occassions dinner.

Been to The Angus Barn? Share your experiences!