“Wonderful Experience”

Second Empire Restaurant & Tavern
Order Online
Ranked #1 of 1,714 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Harrington St.
Description: Located in downtown Raleigh’s historic Victorian Dodd-Hinsdale House (circa 1879), Second Empire combines history, atmosphere, exceptional service and gourmet cuisine for an unforgettable dining experience. Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern features our award winning Contemporary American Cuisine in two dining atmospheres. Upstairs enjoy the ultimate dining experience in an elegant yet relaxed atmosphere of charm and grace. Downstairs in the Tavern and beautiful Atrium room enjoy a lighter fare menu and more casual environment. The Capitol Room, Raleigh Room, Pine Room and Atrium Room are available for private parties seating up to 55 people or various combinations of rooms for parties up to 300 people. Second Empire is very proud to be the recipient of the DiRoNA Award (Distinguished Restaurants of North America), the AAA Four Diamond Award (Raleigh’s only restaurant with this award) and the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 1998.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Overall I would give it a 10. From the time my husband and I walked in the door from the host to the servers to the excellent food. I would give this restaurant an A+. I would recommend family and friends. There was nothing we disliked about our experience. Thank you!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (659)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We are Raleigh visiting our son and his family. We are from MYC and wanted to experience a top redoing .Raleigh. Second Empire was suggested. It lived up to our expectations
It’s in a beautiful restored mansion. The service was extraordinary. The food was sophisticated and delicious. The wine list was superb and not over priced.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had an anniversary dinner here. We received a signed menu from the chef. The wait staff is amazingly attentive, knowledgeable about the menu and the history of the restaurant. The food was superb! For a fine dining restaurant I thought the portions were large, and tasty. We had tuna tartare, calamari, rack of lamb, and an off menu steak. All were fresh and cooked to perfection! This was our first time here and we will definitely be back.
I was also curious about the dress code in general so I’ll add for those curious...business casual to dressy was how most everyone was dressed.

1  Thank McKenzie S
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was honestly the best dining experience my wife and I have ever had. The service was on another level and so was the food. If you are looking for a special place for a romantic dinner this is the spot.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Destinee and the rest of the staff made our anniversary dinner so special. Everyone was very friendly. Destinee was knowledgeable and took great care of us. The food was amazing.