“Great anniversary dinner”

Second Empire Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Second Empire Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 1,520 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Harrington St.
Description: Located in downtown Raleigh’s historic Victorian Dodd-Hinsdale House (circa 1879), Second Empire combines history, atmosphere, exceptional service and gourmet cuisine for an unforgettable dining experience. Second Empire Restaurant and Tavern features our award winning Contemporary American Cuisine in two dining atmospheres. Upstairs enjoy the ultimate dining experience in an elegant yet relaxed atmosphere of charm and grace. Downstairs in the Tavern and beautiful Atrium room enjoy a lighter fare menu and more casual environment. The Capitol Room, Raleigh Room, Pine Room and Atrium Room are available for private parties seating up to 55 people or various combinations of rooms for parties up to 300 people. Second Empire is very proud to be the recipient of the DiRoNA Award (Distinguished Restaurants of North America), the AAA Four Diamond Award (Raleigh’s only restaurant with this award) and the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 1998.
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We went there Thursday for our 15th anniversary dinner. They had a signed menu waiting for us when we got there. Seated promptly and received superb service. Food was top notch and as always the desert to die for. Wife had the Soufflé which was well worth the wait. Lived in Raleigh for 41 years and that was first time. Will not wait 41 more I promise you.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I ate here with a group of colleagues, everything was perfect. Service was efficient and friendly, excellent wine list and prices pretty reasonable.
We are downstairs, but were given both menus, so you could pick between the two menus on offer.
I had calamari, beautifully tender and with a tasty dipping sauce. Then I had the rib eye. The waiter said there were 12oz of meat, but I think there was more! It comes as a stock sandwiched with risotto, definitely different and looked attractive on the plate. The beef was cooked perfectly and melted in the mouth, just a shame I couldn't eat it all!
I would definitely come back to the Second Empire, it manages to get the balance right between service and food.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

What a great dinner!! The chief had a personal greeting on my menu upon arrival, It was just the perfect evening. the Baked Alaskan was the perfect ending to the perfect dinner!!!

1  Thank Cherry C
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Cozy, romantic place to eat early before a show in downtown Raleigh. The entire menu is fantastic, all are favorites. Beer and wine selection is great and the atmosphere is casual and laid back. Remember this is under the upscale restaurant upstairs (Second Empire). If there is a show downtown, better call ahead to ensure a seat.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is a nice little get away in the middle of the city. The ambiance is really very quaint, without being stuffy and overdone. My wife and I had dinner and started with a drink at the bar. The bar is very comfortable and many people were already eating there from the Tavern menu. We ate upstairs where you get to experience the grandeur of the old house. Although much of it has been redone, it is still a very quiet and romantic setting. Ok, now, the food was very good and our service was outstanding. I would say overall this is a keeper.