“Great service”
Review of BuKu

BuKu
Reserve with OpenTable
BuKu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,455 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wilmington
Description: Located at the corner of Wilmington and Davie Streets in the heart of downtown Raleigh, bu•ku is a local restaurant that tells a global story. The name "bu•ku" itself is an international slang twist on the phrase, "Merci, beaucoup" meaning, "Thank you very much." Inspired by the pushcarts of street vendors across the globe, our chefs harvest an array of unique and distinct flavors and present them authentically, in a virtual kaleidoscope of plates. The common link: these are foods that people love. Working within different regional traditions, our menu brings together complex and flavorful dishes that have been honed over generations. Foods like Polish pierogis, Colombian arepas, and Thai barbecue prawns served in a banana leaf with green papaya salad can be found on the street corners of Warsaw, Bogota, and Bangkok. We strive to convey the immediate thrill a traveler feels eating foods like these as they first cross over the cart and exchange hands into the urban setting.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great service”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Family dinner for a birthday. Some in our party had food allergies, so the gluten-free menu was helpful.

Caitlyn, our server, did a wonderful job. She was patient with our kids, explained the menu, worked with the kitchen on the food allergies, and suggested some options when asked by a person who was having trouble making a decision (uh, yeah...that was me.) She handled my wife's nasty, spoiled shrimp professionally (of course deducting it from our bill) and suggested an alternative.

My first impression was not that great as we didn't get a great feel from the hostesses outside the door. They seemed distant, a little snobby, or not engaged. Caitlyn more than made up for that and was a major reason for our happy evening.

She deserves a promotion and a raise.

Dunedin, Florida
“Excellent food. Great Service.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I tried out a number of (new to us) restaurants during Raleigh Restaurant Week. Buku was a good choice. The food was very good and the service was excellent. A nice atmosphere. Many menu choices. I would be hard to go wrong choosing to have your next meal here.

Ocean City, New Jersey
“great variety good across the board”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stopped in for lunch with family and friends. Very interesting and varied menu. Had something for everyone. We were exciting about trying new dishes and were not disappointed. Very aromatic and foreign flavored. The conservative eaters found many things to their liking. I would not classify this a "value" type meal but definitely worth it. The breads were excellent and was the wine. I will definitely be going back next visit.

Morrisville, NC
“The best food and service I have ever had downtown”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went there for Sunday brunch. Terrific, great tasting, fresh food. Everything tasted made in house. The hostess didn't have my reservation but that was easily fixed. Complementary valet parking. Great servers, wonderful atmosphere. I feel like Travania in Morrisville tried to duplicate Buku but just didnt do it right. I will absolutely be back! Yum!

Carrboro, North Carolina, United States
“Something for Everyone - Great for Dietary Needs”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I ate dinner here with another couple. Two of us were gluten-free, one was vegan, and one of the gluten-free eaters also avoids red meat. We all found something to get on the menu.

There's a dedicated gluten free menu with plenty of options. I ordered a papaya salad and chaat dish from the small plates, and my other GF friend ordered a salmon dish.

My husband (the only one without restrictions) ordered the Korean beef entree.

Our vegan friend seemed to have the fewest options, but was happy with his pad thai.

The drinks were flavorful, if a little sweet. I ordered the agua fresca, which was watermelon that day, and found it very refreshing.

Overall, a great place to go with your vegetarian, gluten-free, and/or vegan friends!

Visited August 2013