“Very Good but Not Outstanding”
Review of Bloomsbury Bistro

Bloomsbury Bistro
Ranked #58 of 1,448 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Very Good but Not Outstanding”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

There were four of us in our party, and each of us ordered a different dish. Mine was the veal shank. It was very good but not the absolute best that I've ever had...as someone else noted, "nothing special." Everyone in our party enjoyed their entree but overall, we didn't feel Bloomsbury is worth the $. Our server was wonderful, however; very attentive and informative without being overbearing or too chatty. I had the Sonoma pinot noir and it was wonderful with the veal. We skipped appetizers in anticipation of having dessert. Nothing on the dessert menu appealed to us. We left and drove to Vinnie's on Six Forks Road for dessert and after-dinner drinks. I'll write a separate review on Vinnie's because their desserts were excellent and very creative. If we are in a group that wants to go to Bloomsbury, we will go again. However, if it's a special occasion, this will not be our first choice.

• Visited June 2014

Durham, NC
“Service surpassed the food”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife & I went to Bloomsbury Bistro with high expectations - perhaps too high. The room is gorgeous, quiet, and the atmosphere "feels" expensive. The service was excellent - crisp, friendly, and helpful. The wine list isn't super long, but it's reasonable and fairly priced. The food was the let-down - pretty undistinguished. I began with a shrimp dumpling, which was as good as I could find in my local dim sung restaurant. My wife had an asparagus vichyssoise that was elegant to look at, but somewhat restrained in taste. Our mains, veal shank and salmon, were both nothing special. The veal shank was underflavored and underseasoned. It was just cooked. The salmon was similar. Neither justified the cost. The dessert, a deconstructed German chocolate cake, was okay and could easily have been more moist and interesting. In short? A expensive restaurant that looks great, serves you well, and offers inoffensive but expensive food.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank NCDoc
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Party for your mouth!!!”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is our fav restaurant in the Raleigh/Durham area! No matter what you order it is a party for your mouth!! The service is always outstanding. It is on the expensive side but it is so unique, we think it is worth it. I would highly recommend this restaurant!!

• Visited May 2013
“Expen$ive for Experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Food was good; not great. Appetizer Japanese crab cake was delicious. So we were disappointed that the Salmon was overcooked and Swordfish lacked flavor. Dessert (chocolate) was tasty. Expected more for the price. Service was good. David was our server and ensured we never waited for anything.

Raleigh, NC
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We went during Triangle Restaurant Week (although Bloomsbury was not participating). All in all, it was good, not top notch, but good. While I am not planning to go back any time soon, it is a place that I would say is worth a try if you have not been there.

Visited February 2014