“Cannot agree on the high rating”
Review of Bloomsbury Bistro

Bloomsbury Bistro
Ranked #70 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my first visit wit my family of five. We were unable to get a prime time seating so we opted for what they had a available at 5:30. By the way it was Saturday night before Mother's Day. when dining at any establishment during a peak occassion, I always excuse certain things because it may not be a true example of what the restaurant has to offer or the quality food prep from the kithcen. Now, what you really want to now. The location is in a great place. The ambience and overall decor is nice not over the top. An often overlooked quality is the ability to talk to others at the table when the restaurant is slammed. They did a great job of sound proofing loud zones and we were able to communicate. The service was fine. The quickly hastened ordering was not followed by quick kithcen to table turnarounds. ( again, I can excuse that due to the night).
Most importantly , the food. Well, lets say it was not that good. My dish, "Grilled Snake River Farms Kurobuta pork loin and crispy tasso spiced cheek meat over Low Country dirty rice with sautéed Kale and Green tomato gumbo" was over cooked. No natural juices what so ever. A big pice of dried non flavorfull pork. The kale had loads of grit in it and it was like parched news paper. Two of our party had the grilled New York strip cooked medium rare- per the chef. It was tough and full of muscle. They did like the potatoes. Two others had the chicken and it was delicious. I will go back soon and hope to have the same experience as many others have noted especially with an average per person ring at $40.

2  Thank lewwjr

Reviewed May 2, 2013

5 of 5 stars (excellent, fine dining)

(see explanation of ratings below)

Always a fave of ours. We buy $500 worth of gift certificates each year (for $400) and give them to ourselves!

Chef Toler is amazingly creatively and he changes his menu about every six weeks.

Allow 60-90 minutes.

Cost: about $25-$35 for food alone.

$15 corkage fee.

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual" (no table service )

2) casual and "posh casual" dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

1  Thank HomoQuiScitOmnia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Tucked into a small strip mall, this was a pleasant surprize. Dined early on a Friday evening. Excellent wait staff and small, but diverse menu with Mediterrean undertones. Would definitely return.

1  Thank jmapatterson
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Having read so many reviews of this place, we just had to visit. The wife and I visited on a Saturday night, for our anniversary. We made reservations ahead of time, and were seated quickly. Bloomsbury is nice and quiet, and very relaxing. The staff did not rush us at all. Our service was excellent. Our water and wine glasses were never empty. Our food was some of the best we've ever had. We had previewed the menu before our visit, so we already knew what we wanted to try. With the menu changing every few weeks, we know why so many people return to this place. You have to try it all!!! The bread was hot, and their butter makes it soooo good. My wife said the pecan-encrusted flounder was the best fish dinner she had ever had. I had NC Mahi served over rice and beans, sausage and shrimp. Thanks Bloomsbury Bistro, for making our anniversary dinner special. We shall return.................

1  Thank REBELJOHN
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been a few times and I have enjoyed it every time. The foodis standard american bistro but prepared very well served elegantly. The food and service are commensurate with the price ... you get what you pay for here. Excellent for a date or date night or for a spurge.

1  Thank DavidZ267