“Worth the wait!”

The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar
Ranked #8 of 1,493 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cowfish brings to the world the first restaurant focusing on offering both the best sushi AND the best burger in town. Fresh, innovative and delicious, the sushi segment of the menu is powered by the success of sister company, eeZ Fusion & Sushi. All natural, creative and hearty, the burgers entice with fresh, never frozen, ingredients and bold flavors. Spiked hand-spun milkshakes, premium sakes, craft beers, wine and 10oz exotic martinis round out a huge bar menu that is sure to please. The Cowfish aims to offer something for the entire family. Scrumptious appetizers for sharing, hot soups and entree-sized salads, homemade desserts and a fun kid's menu are joined by our signature creations that we call "Burgushi"! A cutting edge fusion of burger and sushi, burgushi items include sushi rolls created using burger components, and pick-up style sandwiches created using sushi components. If you can't make up your mind, try a bento box to sample a mini-burger along with your choice of sushi roll and three tasty side items!
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Cowfish has been open in Raleigh for about 7 months. There was an hour and 1/2 wait, but it was worth it for the service and food. We had an excellent server who gave us a wonderful "tour" of the menu. She was honest about what she liked and did not like, which I always appreciate. We enjoyed the bar so much that we decided to leave our car and take a cab home. The staff was very nice in assisting us in getting our ride. We spoke with Randy Tomblin, Service Manager, for quite a while, and he was a real pleasure! One of the ladies in our party must eat gluten and dairy free and they were extremely accommodating. They said if you give them lead time, they'll even change out oil, so you can have fries or whatever you want made safely! My husband and I split two yummy sushi rolls and a spinach salad. Others had the burgers and said they were fantastic. One of the men with us travels a lot and eats out a lot and had the bison burger. He said it was the best he had ever had by far. We will definitely go again!

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner with friends and it was the best of our trip! The food and choices were fabulous! We shared the Tropical Storm Fusion sushi roll for an appetizer. It's was delicious. I had the Riggs r & r crab cake fusion roll and my husband had the Arnold Hamandegger burger. Oh my it was the best burger ever!! I don't usually like burgers but I couldn't stop taking bites of his! He added sautéed mushrooms And fried pepperoncinis. On top of how great the food was, the staff outdid themselves. Everyone was nice and friendly. Even servers who were serving other tables came and chatted about the food. Don't miss this restaurant! It's a gem!!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went to Cowfish on a Saturday night right in the dinnertime rush and were given a wait time of an hour and a half. The place was packed out and there were probably 25-30 parties waiting for a table which even if an inconvenience seemed to us a good sign of things to come, so we decided to wait it out.

I enjoyed the way they let you know how long you have until your table is ready - there is a large TV on the wall behind the check-in desk that has different sized fish all named different things floating around. They send you a text message after you check in and get your buzzer that lets you know what your fish is named and then you keep watching the TV screen. The larger your fish gets, the closer you are to getting seated. It's a neat concept and when we eventually figured out how to tell which fish is yours (I'm a bit technically challenged at times) we thought it was a great way to keep restaurant goers bored from a long wait occupied.

We waited about an hour for a table and then were seated. The atmosphere here is amazing - the fish tank in the lobby is beautiful and the restaurant is jumping with activity. This would be a great place for a group of friends to gather for an evening of fun, but unless it's not as crowded probably not the place you want to go for a quiet romantic dinner. We skipped the appetizer and went straight for the burgers. I got the Porky's Revenge, a beef patty topped with pulled pork, gouda cheese, coleslaw, onion strings, and BBQ sauce. It was HUGE and delicious, I couldn't finish it. I got the house seasoned fries as my side and they were great! My husband got the Stringin' the Blues burger which was a patty covered in blackening seasoning, blue cheese, onion strings, and gorgonzola sauce which was also good. He got the onion straws as a side too and they were a great compliment to the burgers.

The service was good although it took about twenty minutes to even get our drink order taken, which wasn't a big shock since they were so busy. Even though we didn't have room for it, the sushi looked amazing - Large fresh rolls covered in interesting toppings. The dessert looked good as well and we were disappointed we didn't have room to try anything. We will definitely be back here soon to try more of their awesome food!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I consider myself somewhat of a foody, an afficionado of haute cuisine...and I am seriously addicted to this place. Sushi has always been one of my favorite meals, but now Cowfish, in particular is my all time favorite meal. Cowfish has tapped a niche that until now has not existed in any restaurant that I know of...burgushi: the amazing fusion of burger components in a pretty little sushi presentation! Even if you aren't a raw fish fan, you can still enjoy the sushi-type experience!!! There is also the traditional sushi menu...also stellar! ...and the burgers, superb! ...and the plethora of appetizers, amazing!!! ...and of course dessert, food orgasm!!! Anyhoo...you cannot go wrong in whatever you order!!! The other cool thing is that you can create your own sushi masterpiece, which is pretty cool (although, with all of the amazing choices, i've never gone that route!!!). ...and to top it all off, try the carafe of the apple sake...TDF!!!! My recommendation if you want to get in without lifetime wait, go before 6:00pm! But don't just take my word for it, go down and try for yourself...you'll be an instant convert!!!

1  Thank reynduo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I had heard our friends talk of their excellent experiences at Cowfish. For my part the Sushi was very good. My wife order a medium rare hamburger. Despite several attempts the cooks were unable to produce a medium rare burger. The kitchen delivered either raw burgers or burgers that were well done. We had to give up. The manager was apologetic and made efforts to remedy the situation. The meal was free but my wife never got her burger.

The dining area is attractive and it is worth it to visit just to see the fish tank. I would urge people to try this place out and enjoy the fantastic selection of sushi dishes.