“Huge portions and a fun atmosphere!”

The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar
Ranked #6 of 1,444 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Cowfish brings to the world the first restaurant focusing on offering both the best sushi AND the best burger in town. Fresh, innovative and delicious, the sushi segment of the menu is powered by the success of sister company, eeZ Fusion & Sushi. All natural, creative and hearty, the burgers entice with fresh, never frozen, ingredients and bold flavors. Spiked hand-spun milkshakes, premium sakes, craft beers, wine and 10oz exotic martinis round out a huge bar menu that is sure to please. The Cowfish aims to offer something for the entire family. Scrumptious appetizers for sharing, hot soups and entree-sized salads, homemade desserts and a fun kid's menu are joined by our signature creations that we call "Burgushi"! A cutting edge fusion of burger and sushi, burgushi items include sushi rolls created using burger components, and pick-up style sandwiches created using sushi components. If you can't make up your mind, try a bento box to sample a mini-burger along with your choice of sushi roll and three tasty side items!
Durham, North Carolina
“Huge portions and a fun atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went to Cowfish on a Saturday night right in the dinnertime rush and were given a wait time of an hour and a half. The place was packed out and there were probably 25-30 parties waiting for a table which even if an inconvenience seemed to us a good sign of things to come, so we decided to wait it out.

I enjoyed the way they let you know how long you have until your table is ready - there is a large TV on the wall behind the check-in desk that has different sized fish all named different things floating around. They send you a text message after you check in and get your buzzer that lets you know what your fish is named and then you keep watching the TV screen. The larger your fish gets, the closer you are to getting seated. It's a neat concept and when we eventually figured out how to tell which fish is yours (I'm a bit technically challenged at times) we thought it was a great way to keep restaurant goers bored from a long wait occupied.

We waited about an hour for a table and then were seated. The atmosphere here is amazing - the fish tank in the lobby is beautiful and the restaurant is jumping with activity. This would be a great place for a group of friends to gather for an evening of fun, but unless it's not as crowded probably not the place you want to go for a quiet romantic dinner. We skipped the appetizer and went straight for the burgers. I got the Porky's Revenge, a beef patty topped with pulled pork, gouda cheese, coleslaw, onion strings, and BBQ sauce. It was HUGE and delicious, I couldn't finish it. I got the house seasoned fries as my side and they were great! My husband got the Stringin' the Blues burger which was a patty covered in blackening seasoning, blue cheese, onion strings, and gorgonzola sauce which was also good. He got the onion straws as a side too and they were a great compliment to the burgers.

The service was good although it took about twenty minutes to even get our drink order taken, which wasn't a big shock since they were so busy. Even though we didn't have room for it, the sushi looked amazing - Large fresh rolls covered in interesting toppings. The dessert looked good as well and we were disappointed we didn't have room to try anything. We will definitely be back here soon to try more of their awesome food!

• Visited October 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Seriously the best restaurant hands down, in the triangle!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I consider myself somewhat of a foody, an afficionado of haute cuisine...and I am seriously addicted to this place. Sushi has always been one of my favorite meals, but now Cowfish, in particular is my all time favorite meal. Cowfish has tapped a niche that until now has not existed in any restaurant that I know of...burgushi: the amazing fusion of burger components in a pretty little sushi presentation! Even if you aren't a raw fish fan, you can still enjoy the sushi-type experience!!! There is also the traditional sushi menu...also stellar! ...and the burgers, superb! ...and the plethora of appetizers, amazing!!! ...and of course dessert, food orgasm!!! Anyhoo...you cannot go wrong in whatever you order!!! The other cool thing is that you can create your own sushi masterpiece, which is pretty cool (although, with all of the amazing choices, i've never gone that route!!!). ...and to top it all off, try the carafe of the apple sake...TDF!!!! My recommendation if you want to get in without lifetime wait, go before 6:00pm! But don't just take my word for it, go down and try for yourself...you'll be an instant convert!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank reynduo
Raleigh, North Carolina
“We had heard great things but this was not a great visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I had heard our friends talk of their excellent experiences at Cowfish. For my part the Sushi was very good. My wife order a medium rare hamburger. Despite several attempts the cooks were unable to produce a medium rare burger. The kitchen delivered either raw burgers or burgers that were well done. We had to give up. The manager was apologetic and made efforts to remedy the situation. The meal was free but my wife never got her burger.

The dining area is attractive and it is worth it to visit just to see the fish tank. I would urge people to try this place out and enjoy the fantastic selection of sushi dishes.

• Visited September 2013
“Serious sushi.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Fun concept. Burgers and sushi. But it works. Everybody gets what they want. Kinda like Def Leopard opening for Fleetwood Mac. But seriously, it seems to work. The burgers are good alright, but good burgers are a dime a dozen. And lets face it, if you are going to pay $12 for a hamburger, it better be good. Let's face it, Five Guys is right across the street. But the thing that makes this place is the sushi......and the appetizers. The combo meals are pretty fun too. But mostly the sushi. It's serious sushi. Probably the best in the area (although I like the Sono too). The portions are big and the price for the sushi is reasonable. All and all, it's a fun place with lots of choices and good service. Not a family place, but if you are out with friends or even a date, I give it a good review.

• Visited August 2013
Knightdale, North Carolina
“Try this place, you won't be sorry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were perplexed when we saw the Cowfish sign go up near North Hills last winter and then waited for what seemed like forever to wait until Spring. We googled it and saw the menu from the original one in Charlotte and couldn't wait to try it. The atmosphere is wonderful, open and airy. It can get VERY busy on any weekend night and I even visited on a Wednesday night recently and at 7pm, there was a wait to get a seat - I would recommend calling for reservations if you can. They have a HUGE menu with lots of appetizers, sushi, burgers, and sushi/burger fusion to choose from. Our waiter/waitress at each visit has been amazing and helps you through the menu. We followed a few of the recommendations from our waiter at the first visit and tried the blackened ahi tuna nachos... SO GOOD! We also tried one of their specialty burgers, the "Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love," with peanut butter and banana on a burger - I know it sounds horrible, but it's not. My husband and I split that as well as one of their specialty sushi rolls, The Boss. The sushi was fresh and flavorful and the burger was perfectly cooked.

They are also known for their spiked milkshakes but we have been so full each time we have been there, we didn't get one. There is corn hole outside as well as a large covered patio that is perfect for great nights. There is also a mini-bus that is sometimes parked outside and when we asked about it, they let us know for $200 they will come and get you from your home/work/party and drive you to the restaurant and then take you anywhere you wanted to go downtown or back home/office. Good option for a party bus if you need something like that. This place is great and it should be on your list of places to try in the Raleigh area. You can walk across the street to the movie theater or go bowling at Sparians right across the parking lot. North Hills has come a long way and it continues to grow and give us locals more options, which is awesome!!!

• Visited September 2013