“Great name, great food”

The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar
Ranked #21 of 1,518 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cowfish brings to the world the first restaurant focusing on offering both the best sushi AND the best burger in town. Fresh, innovative and delicious, the sushi segment of the menu is powered by the success of sister company, eeZ Fusion & Sushi. All natural, creative and hearty, the burgers entice with fresh, never frozen, ingredients and bold flavors. Spiked hand-spun milkshakes, premium sakes, craft beers, wine and 10oz exotic martinis round out a huge bar menu that is sure to please. The Cowfish aims to offer something for the entire family. Scrumptious appetizers for sharing, hot soups and entree-sized salads, homemade desserts and a fun kid's menu are joined by our signature creations that we call "Burgushi"! A cutting edge fusion of burger and sushi, burgushi items include sushi rolls created using burger components, and pick-up style sandwiches created using sushi components. If you can't make up your mind, try a bento box to sample a mini-burger along with your choice of sushi roll and three tasty side items!
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Great idea with the gourmet burgers and fusion sushi, you could go there dozens of times and try something different. Huge portions for sushi. Haven't tried the burgers yet, but they look great.

Sushi I had was coconut shrimp with avocado, etc. Very interesting although could have gone with more shrimp and less surrounding it in the roll.

At Raleigh location, there is indoor or covered patio seating...cornhole to play outside, nice area in North Hills.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have heard all the buzz about this place and figured we would try it. First off, they don't take reservations... You can download the app to put your name on the list when you are .5 mile away, or you can just put your name on this list. The way you know you are getting closer to a table is by watching the fish grow on a huge tv. All the fish have great names and you are assigned to a name. You can watch your fish and other fish grow. When you are a big huge fish, your just about ready for a table. Its a great concept, however, average wait between 5pm-9pm is 45 minutes. Plan on grabbing a drink and viewing the real fish in the huge cool tank. If you happen to see some seats open at the bar, grab them and you can eat there! That is what my wife and I did.

Service at the bar was decent, but the menu, atmosphere, food, and drink options made up for it. The food was terrific. I got the bento box, 6 pieces of any roll, 1 featured slider, edamame beans, sweet potato fries, and Asian slaw. My wife had a burger and it was amazing! Huge, great beef, bacon and bread.

Expect to wait, but its totally worth it.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Too crowded and overwhelming for me and my husband. Go early, like we did, and you'll get seated right away. Our table was at very front, got there around 5:30, shortly after all tables were filled and the line started forming. Quickly became a loud chaotic kind of place. Quality of food was very good and quite fresh. We had appetizers of Fried pickles and Spicy Togarashi Shrimp. Both were very good. My husband was very satisfied with his "Mary Had A Little Lamb-urgushi Roll", my "Granny's Southern Pimento Cheese Burger"(topped with fried green tomato) was good but expected it to be way more flavorful. Overall experience was good, but a little to chaotic for us(could be our location by the door). We would only return to this establishment if we were asked by another party.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went here for a business lunch. There were 8 of us, wait was reasonable about 15 min. We were seated in the semi outdoor area(covered patio). The atmosphere was a little loud for talking business.

Our server didn't write down any of our drink orders and when the drinks arrived every last one was wrong. We shuffled things around and she only needed to replace 3 of the 8. Several of us had the Bento box because it offered a nice variety, I opted to sub chicken for the burger.

When the food arrived only one was served to the right person, the rest were either wrong or put in front of the wrong person.

The food looked appetizing but the chicken burger was really bad. The Philly roll I had was OK at best, on the large side and not rolled tight, not as good as what is offered at the Chinese buffet. No one really complained but no one was raving about it either, Most of the plates had some food left on them when we finished.

I think the overall value here is pretty low, and the service is very sub par. For the same cost you can get much better service and better food at any number of nearby restaurants. For half the cost you can get better food and as good service at any quick bites place or Chinese buffet.

1  Thank Nyrken
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've been here twice now. The first time was great, absolutely no complaints. The second time I think I received the worst service I've ever had. Personally I just think our table was forgotten about due to our location and our server's section.

I was meeting my friend for lunch on a Sunday afternoon. It was pretty dead and there were several open tables. I was placed at a high top around the fish tank. There is a low wall that separates this area (the "nineties", apparently) from the rest of the dining room, and every other table in that section was empty. My friend was late, as usual, but I sat down without her. I waited for over seven minutes (which doesn't sound like a long time, but if you've ever worked FOH in a restaurant before you know that it is) before a server finally came up and greeted me. I ordered a diet coke. I was going to order an app to share with my friend who was on her way, but I was going to wait a little bit. The server disappeared and after about two minutes I actually saw my server visiting other tables in in her section asking them how they were doing. I've now been sitting here for almost ten minutes, with nothing in front of me, alone, while the server goes and checks up on her tables. Anyway, my friend arrives, and a different server comes up to the table. She looks at me and says, "I know she has your drink order in, but what would you like to drink?" to my friend. She asks for a water which is brought to her immediately while I'm still waiting for my diet coke. Our server finally comes back with my drink, and we then order the appetizer. She asks for our food order but we're not sure yet because the menu is freaking HUGE, so we ask her to give us a few minutes. I apologized if we were taking up too much time in her section and she said that it was dead. We get our appetizer, we finish our appetizer, we sit there for about five minutes, and then she comes back to get our food order. Same thing - we get our food, finish our food, and sit there for a while. During this time we have received refills from other servers that happen to walk by noticing our empty glasses, and we ask other servers for condiments and stuff. We wanted to take the rest of the sushi home, but she never came. I stacked all of the plates and dishes and consolidated the sushi onto the plate at the top, making it painfully obvious that we were finished eating. While we are waiting we see her then go a table and begin prebussing. That table isn't finished eating - they are obviously in no rush. Eventually a manager came by and offered to box everything up. We also asked him for the check, and after a slight mix up, we also had to ask him to run the card as well. This is the only time that I have ever left less than a 20% after I started working in restaurants seven years ago.

I'm not sure if maybe each of the servers gets one table in the nineties, because we weren't really in her section, and there were a few different servers that also had tables around us. I'm thinking that maybe that's why she forgot about us. Either way, we were not happy about our service, but I'm still giving the restaurant four stars because the food is great, and I think we might've caught her on a bad day.