“Pleases Any Palate!”

Ranked #33 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'm not Vegan or Vegetarian so when I say I had a wonderful meal you can be sure this place will please any palate! My best friend is vegan so I get taken to lots of vegan and vegan friendly places and I usually end up eating some ho-hum dish made up of lots of boring fake meat and wishing I had the real thing! I could tell the Fiction Kitchen was going to be different right off because I was excited by their menu. For my beverage I ordered the "ICED HALF-SWEET TEA". $1.50 As a Southerner I love my sweet tea but as someone who's been trying to cut back on the sugar I've been ordering my tea half/half for awhile and a lot of the time it still comes out too sweet. This tea was perfect! Just sweet enough to be lovely without making me want to brush my teeth! We started off with an appetizer, "ROOT VEGETABLE CHIPS: Root vegetables dusted with rosemary salt and your choice of edamame hummus or seasonal pesto (Vegan + Gluten Free)" $8. We chose the basil pesto and it was amazing. The appetizer was a large serving, big enough to feed four people a nice sized portion. The chips were crispy, colorful, flavorful, not overly salty, and not greasy! We also shared a salad they had on special for the night. It was full of strawberries, and some sort of cashew cheese. I've never even heard of cashew cheese but it was really nice. For my entree I ordered the "CURRY BOWL: House-made yellow curry, coconut milk, seasonal vegetables, and rice blend (Vegan + Gluten Free)" $12. It was excellent and just spicy enough to get the sinuses open. One friend ordered the "TINGA TACOS: Spicy chipotle mock chicken on corn tortilla with slaw, savory black beans, and seasoned grains (Vegan)" $10, but he substituted the chipolte mock chicken with seitan because he doesn't like spicy food. My best friend ordered an entree on special which was a curry dish as well. I don't remember what all was in it but she said it was excellent. Everything was so wonderful and filling that we didn't have room for dessert. The table service was prompt, friendly, and helpful. The prices were reasonable and the ambiance was relaxed and funky. I would totally go back again.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

My aunt and I decided to eat here while spending a weekend in Raleigh. We went about 5:30 and we're able to be seated quickly. Our waiter had tons of personality and an upbeat attitude. We got the spring rolls for an appetizer. Now I'm not gonna lie. The spring rolls had a funky appearance and an even stranger texture in your hands. But eating them with a fork and dipping them in the peanut sauce, they were tasty. I chose the Noodle bowl and my aunt decided upon the Farro risotto. We both agreed that our entrees were flavorful and yummy. I noticed with my noodles, that the flavor was every changing; as was the smell in the restaurant. Fiction kitchen has a set up where you can see the cooks and the kitchen, therefor experiencing a variety of food aromas. Our dinner was completed with a chocolate salted caramel delicious ganache. Extra notes: water was totally clear and excellent.....bathrooms are gender neutral... Decor is eclectic and cool.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We have been wanting to try Fiction Kitchen for a while and on whim we decided Sunday was the day! We have heard nothing but good about this place and we were not let down. There was a wait but the Bloody Mary and Irish coffee were a nice distractor. The food was very tasty and sized appropriately. The fritters will please any child. The quiche was delicious and the "chicken" and waffles were better than some real chicken options we have had before. The service was excellent.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I've been here twice now, each time with a strictly vegan/gluten free friend. She loves it because even the substitutes available, she can eat. I am a sometimes carnivore and love all the options available. The first time I visited, we had their mushroom soup as an appetizer and it was amazing. I ordered a main course as well which consisted of sweet potatoes and spinach, can't remember all the ingredients but the taste combo was fantastic! They offer many local and seasonal items, giving farm-to-plate seal of approval!

The second time I ordered the farmer's market plate, with fried green tomatoes, local pimento cheese (could have sub'd cashew cheese) on collards with coconut milk. There was also apple relish on the top which really gave the dish a pop. I tried their spring rolls with spicy peanut sauce, as well, which was awesome! They offer several NC beers as well as cocktails and gluten free beers. The wait staff was attentive and helpful despite us taking up a table for about 4 hours. We went on a weekday, right at happy hour and it was busy but a few tables available and space at the bar. It fills up fast though, even on a weeknight. Worth a try!

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Whenever we are visiting Raleigh, we now make a stop at this restaurant. It has some very nice vegetarian food that is surprisingly satisfying and unique. We like to eat here for more ideas on how to perfect our vegetarian cuisine at home. All the staff are friendly and welcome you into the restaurant as you walk in, and the food was out quickly. The location is right downtown next to a beautiful park, so you can take a walk right after enjoying some great food!