“Inspiring & Affordable”

Ranked #30 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Fiction Kitchen offers excellent, inventive, inspiring fare; perfect cocktails; a respectable wine list; fantastic, friendly service; & affordable prices! They also serve the absolute best faux meats I've ever had with regard to both texture and flavor. It's a casual, inviting, incredibly impressive experience and I can't recommend it highly enough!

1  Thank Christine S

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I'm vegetarian but enjoy trying vegan restaurants across the country (Nashville has some of the best). Here for business and was told about this restaurant by a Raleigh native, and decided to try it - even though my traveling companion is 100% carnivore.

Had veggie fritters (like the finest texture hush puppy you've ever had), noodle bowl (with seitan), and pumpkin ravioli, with chocolate ganache for dessert. Although my friend was initially suspicious, she raved about every bite she ate, and decided vegan might be doable every now and then. It's a start.

Service was a team effort and uniformly excellent; the restaurant was decorated with a funky, fun vibe; and the food can't be beat. Definitely somewhere I'll come the next time I'm in town.

1  Thank twotat2
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Came here last year around May during Animazment (a anime convention) and was so surprised with the deliciousness of their food. Most of us ordered the chicken and waffles, which if you aren't a veg you seriously have to try them! They were BETTER than any chicken and waffles I have ever had! :) Some of the other things we ordered had flavors that were too strong for my tastes, such as their BBQ, but the quality of the fake meat was very amazing. This place despite my overly sensitive taste buds, was beyond my expectations and I left with an extra order of those chicken and waffles for later.

P.s. The special soup was great and so were the spring rolls!

1  Thank sototallysammi
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went to Fiction Kitchen with another couple during the IBMA Bluegrass Festival in Raleigh. We actually sat in the booth next to Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, who were getting dinner before their set with Steep Canyon Rangers later that night. Started with a couple of cocktails they created especially for the festival, including one with the base ingredient of passionfruit kombucha. So we pretty much became 50-something instant hipsters. Anyway, very creative bar and lots of good local beer also. Everyone at our table ended up getting the Farmers Market plate, which was a mushroom burger and side salad, all made with local ingredients. It was really delicious, and plenty of food for all of us. Looking forward to going back and trying some other items on the menu. Lots of variety and constantly changing specials depending on what's available locally. Perfect location if you're seeing a show at Red Hat or Memorial Auditorium also.

1  Thank ChrisRaleigh
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you take meat eaters here make sure you prep them and that they order enough food. The soup and salads were the best on the menu. Two of us ordered a soup, salad and entrée. We also ordered an appetizer for the table of 4. The one meat eater who followed my lead was plenty full but the other two who didn't said they ended up going out to eat as soon as we returned.

As a vegetarian and former meat eater I think the entrees were trying to be too much like meat. I will go here again as I'm often in Raleigh. Next time I take meat eaters though I will be sure they order enough food.