“Great vegan, but only OK if you are just vegetarian”
Review of Fiction Kitchen

Fiction Kitchen
Ranked #28 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went here for an early dinner one Saturday. The menu is interesting and well executed and great for vegan food; but I'm not usually big on meat substitutes, and then menu focuses on that rather than innovative vegetarian/vegetable dishes. Service is way better than Remedy, but, unless I'm going out with a vegan, there are more interesting vegetarian (rather than vegan-only) spots I'd go to first. Very funky/bright decor.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

If it weren't for the suggestion by a bartender at Trophy Brewing, I would not have visited here, to be quite honest. Many a time I took a bus home from the bus stop nearby, and didn't even notice.

I had an excellent curry bowl with kale, beet, bok choy and onion. Vegetables were fresh and the curry was flavorful. I highly recommend it. My friend had tinga tacos, which he enjoyed very much as well.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the cocktail (which had a black pepper agave syrup in it) to the meal, everything was perfect. I had the farmers market plate. The combination of kale, potatoes, turnips was so good that I would have licked my plate if I were in private. We are nearly all-the-time vegans, and we are so happy to see this fresh, local and amazingly delicious place in our town!

1  Thank Leanne W
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have been to quite a few vegetarian/vegan restaurants, and I am somewhat ashamed to admit that sometimes I leave the restaurant feeling like I have only had appetizers primarily because I have not abused my tastebuds with the flavor of meats. Not Fiction Kitchen. I have heen there twice in 2 weeks and on both occasions I left feeling completely satiated...satiated being a gross understatement. Dishes I have tried include:

Warm Cornbread:
I'm not a big fan of cornbread but my wife ordered it and I really like this cornbread. Very flavorful, soft and crumbly. The black strap molasses spread goes really well with the cornbread but the cornbread on its own is already very good.

Seasonal Fritters:
I had apple fritters and oh my...it was love at first bite. The fritters were tender but chewy with chunks of apples. There was a hint of fried onions and peppers in the fritter which I felt added complexity to the taste of the fritters. Once in a while I will soak up some of the bourbon-agave syrup with the fritters which rounded up the flavors very nicely.

Braised Tempeh with Pesto Grits:
The grits was smooth and even and I thought the pesto added an interesting flowery taste to the grits. The grits is served with seasonal vegetables and when I was there kale was in season so I had roasted kale in my grits which complemented the interesting taste of the grits. The tempeh...oh, the tempeh, tender and spiced like an italian sausage--what a treat for the tastebuds. Though a little on the salty side when taken alone, but mixed in with the grits and kale...the flavors balance beautifully.

Coffee Crème brûlée: I was lucky enough to get to try this since dessert does not seem to be on the permanent menu. I may not be an expert on this dessert but this has got to be one of the best Crème brûlée I have ever had. The hard caramel was the perfect thickness for me--cracks with one drop of the dessert spoon and does not jar my teeth when I bite down on them. The custard was silky smooth and light, not too sweet and the coffee flavor lingers deliciously in the mouth pulling the edges of my mouth up to form a dreamy smile. I almost ordered another one but...I should have ordered another. Darn it!

I ordered their house made ginger ale soda which I thought was excellent, not too sweet, not too sharp and all natural. So good!

The atmosphere: I like the furniture. Most, if not all, are recycled and somewhat retro. This restaurant is not very big, and both time when I was there it was packed so it was quite noisy which is good if you have a baby with you. However, they do not have high chairs so if you bring a baby, you might have to hold the baby quite a bit.

Service: Friendly and quick. Food and drinks were served quickly and accurately and we received just the right amount of attention. The second time we went there, we had to wait an hour for a seat and when I got the bill I found that I was not charged for the warm cornbread. I brought that to the attention of our waitress and she told us that it was on the house because we had to wait so long. That was a really nice gesture that will keep me coming back.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Been twice since they opened a little while ago. The first time was fantastic. There was a long wait and a spot opened at the counter so we snagged it. I had the Tinga Tacos and my husband had the spring rolls as an appetizer and the pulled pork. My husband and I are relatively recent vegans/nutritarians so we were so thrilled that we could eat most things off the menu and have it taste great. The serving sizes were perfect for both of us so that was wonderful too.
We went back a few weeks later and the wait was even longer for a table at 6 on a saturday night. Again, we were able to get seats at the counter for the 3 of us after a 15 minute wait. My daughter had the curry bowl which she said was good. She does eat meat so that was nice that she enjoyed it. My husband had a grilled salad and the sushi plate. It was delicious but he felt there could have been more food and he walked away a bit hungry. It is always difficult to fill up on sushi and not break the bank, this was not surprising-even if there wasn't any fish in the sushi. I know he would have been happier to pay a bit more and have more to eat. Though I need to repeat that the dish was delicious. I had the tempeh and I did enjoy it and it was certainly filling enough for me.
My only complaint: NO RESERVATIONS and the wait is CRAZY.
The restaurant is clearly a success and I truly wish they would take reservations so that you don't have to wait a minimum of 45 minutes on the weekend. I asked someone when is the best time to get a table and he said they fill up at 4:30 when they open and there's a long wait until 10 pm on weekends. Maybe they should rethink reservations. I would love to make it a regular but that's not possible if you need to wait so long for a table every time.
I wish them the best and hope they can tackle the crowds better.