“Nice, new Hampton in downtown area”

Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
“Nice, new Hampton in downtown area”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel instead of my usual hotel in town to see what this new hotel had to offer. It is in a section of Raleigh that is on the edge of "Downtown" and the area has been nicely renovated over the past few years. Having a new hotel in the area is a pretty good idea. There are several restaurants in walking distance (Sullivans Steak House, Mellow Mushroom, etc) and this area has a decent night life nearby.

The facility themselves are very nice. Clean (it's new), high ceilings, nice furniture. I had a King Deluxe room that had a nice wet bar, chair ottoman, and desk. One weird thing, the bathroom lights wouldn't work UNLESS you flipped a switch by the Room Door first. This is very confusing and I heard someone else was having the same question in another room as they didn't think their bathroom lights worked.

The indoor pool was closed while I was there but seemed nice.

Check in is on a side street and there is not really a "dedicated" loading zone but there is an area where one call pull over and unload. Parking is in a parking garage across the street from the hotel, and you need the hotel key to enter the garage so check in first. Currently you will pay $6 a day for this privilege. Something you won't have at other Hamptons typically, but this is in downtown where parking is limited.

2 issues with my stay:

- I returned late in the PM after attending a local sporting event and as I got to my room on the second floor I smelled smoke. At first I wasn't sure but after entering my room you could smell smoke coming from the vent near the door. Not cigarette smoke but the smell of something that was burning. I called the front desk and they sent maintenance up. Another guest came out of their room with the same issue as we were in the hall talking. I went back to my room and I never got another call or update, which was kind of unsettling when you are trying to go to sleep....in a hotel.....where you just had the smell of smoke flowing into your room. (I later wondered if the smell came from the Restaurant across the street that just burned down. Who knows, I'm not sure the hotel ever came to a conclusion)

- There are train tracks directly behind the hotel. At around 2AM on a Thursday morning it came through horns blazing. I am interested if this is a nightly event. If so, I would take this into consideration before staying here again.

Overall, I did like this hotel. It felt modern and was a nicer Hampton Inn, even in a standard room. If you have to be downtown and can get a room at a "Hampton" price and not a "downtown" price I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the Train tracks (if that is possible)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sw0rdf1sh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Travelers also viewed these Raleigh hotels
Raleigh Marriott City Center
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh / Crabtree Valley
Sheraton Raleigh Hotel
Sheraton Raleigh Hotel
#43 of 85 in Raleigh

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown

Property: Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown
Address: 600 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27603-1589
Location: United States > North Carolina > Raleigh
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Suites
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.