“Can't wait to go back!”
Review of Bida Manda

Bida Manda
Reserve with OpenTable
Bida Manda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1,446 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: International, Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: R Line, R15 City Center Deck, Moore Square Stop
Description: Right in the heart of downtown Raleigh, Bida Manda is a thoughtful and sharp gathering place celebrating the diverse food and culture of Laos. Bida Manda is one of the very first Laotian restaurants in the US. Sanskrit for father and mother, we name the restaurant Bida Manda as our way of honoring our parents in Laos who taught us everything we know about food, hospitality, and the power it has in bringing people together. Our parents' recipes are the inspiration for our menu. Every dish on our menu is exactly what we grew up eating. They are the kind of dishes you might find on the street corners of Luang Prabang and at a Laotian home. Come in and go away with us on sensational culinary journey to Laos. ------ Whether it is a birthday dinner for 10 guests or a corporate event for 100+, we will work with you to craft your memorable dining experience. Please contact Vansana Nolintha at vansana@bidamanda.com for more information.
Panama City, Panama
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We heard about this restaurant through a friend, so we decided to give it a try. We read some yelp reviews and it seemed like the obvious thing was to go during a week day to fully appreciate the restaurant's offering. So we did (wednesday night) and it was fabulous. Great service from the beginning to end. Food came out very quickly and it was delicious. We ordered a plate which I was a bit skeptical about (beef on lime plus some secrets) and it was super tasty. we also ordered some delicious slow-cooked caramelized pork ribs with an amazing sauce on white rice. The price was great for the quantity and quality of the food and the staff was really friendly. I highly recommend this place. It has also been opened for a few weeks, so go out and show your support!

1 Thank Jorge M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A fantastic addition to Raleigh's restaurant scene”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place is simply fantastic, which is saying something considering that they just opened. I have been twice now - once for dinner and once for lunch. Both times were great. The service (two different waiters) were both great, the food that everyone in my party had both times was wonderful, and the drinks are tasty (and strong!). Also, it just has a great atmosphere - global, hip, but comfortable. It doesn't feel like it is trying to hard to be cool like some other Raleigh hotspots - thank goodness! Do not miss the crispy rice lettuce wrap appetizer - the best word to describe it is savory. I plan to return again and again!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank noahandallison
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great new addition to downtown Raleigh!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I found Bida Manda on Opentable and thought it looked interesting. We like Indian, Asian, and Middle Eastern foods, so we figured we would like Laotian, too, and we thought we’d give it a try. This place easily earned a spot near the top of our favorite restaurant list!
First of all, the ambiance is fantastic – very youthful, eco-friendly, and genre appropriate. The lighting was just right and there was enough of a crowd on a Wednesday night to put a nice vibe in the air. The menu is unique enough to be special and interesting, but there are some safe dishes for less adventurous folks. I also liked that they provided options – level of spice, with tripe or without, etc. We ordered the beef larb, green papaya salad with duck breast, and a tuna ceviche starter.
The beef larb was excellent. I did ask for it to be cooked medium rare as opposed to the traditional medium. That is simply my personal choice. The dish came with sticky rice – very, very sticky rice! This allowed for us to eat the traditional way –with our fingers. Awesome.
The green papaya salad with duck breast was cooked perfectly and the salad and duck complimented each other very well. My husband ordered it hot (spicy) and it had a nice kick, but was not too overwhelming for me to enjoy it, too. Sticky rice and fingers as well!
The tuna ceviche comes in little bite-size rice bowls. Very easy to share and delicious.
Our waitress was great, but I must say the bar service was a bit slow. They were crowded for a Wednesday and only opened two weeks ago, so I am willing to be forgiving. Once they get the hang of their busy nights, I am sure it will improve.
To summarize – This is a fantastic new addition to downtown Raleigh. Don’t miss out. My husband and I will be back, and we are already planning on taking some friends. It’s easy to find – on South Blount across from Moore Square. Be sure to make a reservation because this place is sure to be a popular spot!

• Visited September 2012