“First visit”

Yard House
Ranked #97 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Yard House is an upscale-casual eatery known for great food, classic rock music and 140 taps of imported, craft and specialty ales & lagers. Whether you’re in the mood for a grilled burger and a pint of your favorite ale, or seared ahi and a chilled martini, Yard House has something for everyone. Yard House is the perfect place to unwind and take a break - meet old friends for happy hour, or make new ones, celebrate a special occasion, or gather your family for dinner.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Yard House. Impressed by the selection of beers and while we waited for a table (Friday night) we had quick service at the bar. Our waitress was attentive and the food was good, LOVED the fries. Only disappoinment was the salad,the plate was warm and the greens not crisp, otherwise we enjoyed our meal. Only negative for me was the NOISE, it was very loud.

Yard_House, Guest Relations Manager at Yard House, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Hi SusanPinNC - While we are happy to hear that your overall visit was enjoyable, we are sorry that your salad was served on a warm plate and was not crisp. We will certainly address your valuable feedback with our team. Should you wish to discuss your visit further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at guestservices@yadrhouse.com. Thank you.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This place is poorly lit in the dark, and the dark brown awnings with small lettering don't help. My husband and I drove past the restaurant twice before we found it. The atmosphere inside is more bar-like and less restaurant. Maybe I am old, but I didn't care to listen to Bob Seger at 1000 decibels. They probably have 100 beers on tap, which includes many craft and specialty beers. My husband really liked that. Their menu is surprisingly large. All of our food was good, and the service was fine, but I wasn't really blown away by this place.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

(see explanation of ratings below)

The Yard House

We went to this place on a Thursday night and there was a 25-minute wait.

HUGE selection of beers on tap and a HUGE menu with many Asian influences and several choices for vegans (this chain has California roots).

I tried the vegan "wings" which had a nice Buffalo-style flavor, but were way too salty.

The vegan sliders were tasty, too, but the ratio of bun to "meat" was about 6 to 1. In other words [note to chef]: where's the "beef"?! Great, thin-cut fries.

The best dish we had was the ahi poke salad.

With no soft surfaces on the floors, walls or ceiling, this place is quite loud when packed. Some quiet time can be found outside, and they have some pretty good heaters and stylish fire pits to keep you warm.

Price: about $40 per person. That includes five small "shorty" beers, tip not included.

Add points for cloth napkins. Subtract points for ubiquitous big-screen TV's giving this place more of a sports bar feel than that of a fine dining establishment.

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food (no table service)

2) casual dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't sure what to think when I walked in because of the large size of the restaurant. I'm not a beer drinker, but the bar is the focal point and it obvious that there are many drafts to choose from. My server was attentive and knowledgeable and recommended the pastrami sandwich and it was the right choice. It was absolutely delicious and I had a cup of the tomato bisque that was piping hot. I'm already thinking about my next visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

LOVE this new restaurant at North Hills! Food is delicious, service great & atmosphere fun. Most amazing flatbread I've had anywhere ever and we eat out a lot!!! Pear & Gorgonzola ... Yum!!!