“Loved the mocha, but both times I went smelled like something burning”
Review of Sola Coffee Cafe

Sola Coffee Cafe
Ranked #1 of 53 Coffee & Tea in Raleigh
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Description: European style Raleigh coffee shop and cafe serving Counter Culture coffees & espresso, Rishi teas, craft beer and wine. Fresh breakfast, local ingredients, sandwiches, salads, Boars Head meats and cheeses, neapolitan style flatbread for dinner, fresh fruit & veggie smoothies, bakery, Homeland Creamery milk & ice cream. Live Music Friday and Saturday nights. Catering on and off site. Private Room.
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Went here twice, would love to love this place but their ventilation system is horrible. Both times we got their smelled like toast was burning. Then fifteen minutes later the whole place fills with smoke and a stench. When I left an hour later, my hubby commented that I smelled like I just climbed out of a toaster, not a coffee houe. I love the smell of most coffee shops, they smell like coffee, yeah not this place, well atleast not in the afternoon when they are baking. Next time I will get my coffee to go.

1  Thank LOVESJESUS
Jeanne L, Owner at Sola Coffee Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

We agree! Our mochas are great and we have struggled with air quality problems. As of March 1, we have installed additional ventilation and happily report that the kitchen smells have been removed. We would love an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I really enjoy this place. The variety makes it very unique. Many times we have trouble agreeing on a place that suits both of our pallets, but not at Sola. The options for food and drink really run the gamut. If want a little pizza and beer and she wants a latte and donuts, no problem. If I want a coffee and she wants a milkshake, no problem. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or any time in between, it works for us. It has a casual, unique atmosphere, and the weekend live entertainment can be really great as well. It's suitable for the whole family or a casual date night. John and the rest of the staff are always friendly and personable. Def a place to check out if you haven't done so.

1  Thank Bradley R
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I had the good fortune to meet the owner of Sola today while I was waiting to meet a friend. My friend had to cancel at the last minute and so I stayed, soaking in the ambiance and drinking a delicious cup of hot chai tea. I've been to Sola before, but today I was struck by the community atmosphere, the upbeat music, and the friendly people who work there. I was already thinking about what a nice place it was and how I really need to come back more often, when the owner walked by and I heard him mention something we have in common. I invited him to sit and chat with me (which he did after taking care of a customer). He sat with me and we chatted about what he thinks makes Sola different (and I have to agree)! You can get a cup of coffee anywhere. What makes Sola special is the people, the ability to support a local business (several in fact, since they use Counter Culture coffee and local ingredients) and the people. They really care about their customers and want them to have a terrific experience every time. Between a commitment to service like that, a kind and friendly owner, wonderful live music in the evenings and a delicious menu, I predict Sola will become one of my new favorite places to be.

1  Thank NC2NYC
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Sola is by far our favorite place to meet friends over a cup of coffee. The coffee is outstanding! The food is delicious. The presentation is wonderful. The employees are by far, the friendliest of any coffee shop we have ever been too. (no coffee snobbery here) But our favorite part is the atmosphere. Sola is decorated in such an eclectic way, that you just want to sit down with a friend for a nice long visit. They have lot's of outdoor seating that makes sitting outside a perfect choice as you are surrounded by beautiful flower arrangements. I haven't entered a Starbucks since I discovered Sola.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

A very special local owned coffee shop. Great coffee, nice pastries. Have breakfast and lunch with dinners Thurs-Sat, I think. Have live local entertainment Fridays and Saturdays with tapist style dishes, really a great place. Gets crowded, but well worth it. For dinner, they have a few wines and a locally brewed beer or two available. Nice to support a local, privately owned shop.