“Totally worth it if your interested in history.”

Mordecai Historic Park
Ranked #25 of 150 things to do in Raleigh
Salisbury, Maryland
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Totally worth it if your interested in history.”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

This is one of the best historical house tours I have ever taken. The tour shows/tells you the entire history of the house from its beginning 4 room structure to its evolution into a mansion. I found it very interesting how they told the story from the houses origins in 1785 to how it was sold to the city in 1967. If you enjoy history and are in the Raleigh area, this is a must see.

2 Thank Cathy R

Boston, Massachusetts
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Interesting for a Little While”
Reviewed June 27, 2008

I went to Moredcai Historic Park in Raleigh recently. I must say that I was slightly disappointed. I am hugely into history, so I figured this would be right up my alley. The park is fairly small, but it contains some of the oldest (including THE oldest) house in Raleigh. These houses are interesting to look at, but aren't particularly remarkable.

The highlight of the park has to be the house in which the 17th President of the United States, Andrew Johnson, was born. It is striking to think that this is where he entered the world.

If you like old architecture, then this historic park is probably worth a stop. I didn't dislike it, but it couldn't hold my attention for very long. History fans will probably be interested enough to make this trip worthwhile, but I imagine the average traveler will rate this attraction as slightly below-average.

4 Thank thegreatone3182
Baltimore, MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Mordecai Well Worth a Visit”
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I love history, so I really enjoyed my tour of Mordecai Historic Park. Not having checked my information before I left the hotel, I arrived half an hour before they opened. A very nice young woman named Erin told me I could stroll around the grounds while I was waiting. After about 10 minutes she came back to find me and said she could give me a tour since other employees had arrived. Buildings from other sites in North Carolina have been moved to this site, including a church that was built by slaves, a lawyer’s office building, a kitchen building (kept separate from the main houses to avoid fires), and the home that Andrew Johnson was born in. The Mordecai (pronounced Mordekey) home and its family history was very interesting. Erin was very informative and answered all my questions. The tour itself only lasted about an hour, which gave me time to visit Pullen Park, grab a hot dog at Snoopy’s, and head over to Durham to visit Duke Gardens.

15 Thank Leslie W