“Pretty good Japanese food”
Review of Hayashi-Ya - CLOSED

Hayashi-Ya
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We visited on a Thursday evening. The Chili restaurant next door was packed so we tried out Hayashi-Ya. It was not busy and we got seated right away. Our waitress was prompt enough for taking and serving our orders, but she disappeared when drink refills were needed.

My order of hibachi chicken came with a salad with ginger dressing. The dressing was tasty but quite runny. The hibachi was a really large portion looked very fresh. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it, but after I'd eaten a bit of it I realized the veggies were almost entirely onions and zucchini. The zucchini looked a little wilted/brown (and not seared brown) so I stopped eating it. I requested the white sauce, which I did not like.

My partner got the teriyaki chicken and he raved about it several times. I should note that he rarely raves about any food. He gives this dish 5 stars and I give mine 3 stars so averaged out on 4 stars.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have never had so much trouble communicating with wait staff. Usually sushi is one of the easiest things to eat if you cannot eat gluten because there are plenty of ingredients you can use to make a gluten-free roll. Unfortunately, the wait staff repeatedly told me they could not make ANY substitutions in any of the rolls! I simply wanted to swap out the shrimp tempura for salmon that was already on top of the roll. In the end, they made the substitution with an additional charge of $3 per roll and removed the avocado, so I actually lost an ingredient in the process. The sushi tastes good, but the hassle and added cost is just not worth it.

Avoid this sushi restaurant if you have any gluten allergies!

1  Thank speidelk
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Maybe my expectation was too high. Having never eaten there, we happened by after deciding against the restaurant next door. I ordered the Kalbi. The menu description, and accompanying picture, led me to believe that I could expect a full dinner. Though the Kalbi arrived fresh and hot, the plate, other than two bites, was nothing but short rib bones. After the two bites of rib meat, which didn't even need to be cut because they were so small, I was left with only sonions and rice for dinner. The meal was hot and reasonably tasty, I just wish I had a more ample dinner...especially for my $20.00.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

A great selection on the menu. I ordered the sashimi and loved it. They also do great takeaway food.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We came here for the bento boxes during lunch time. Usually the quality is okay though I wouldn't call it authentic in anyway for sushi - fish is generally fresh. Bento box is good deal. Since they are actually Korean, I must say the menu includes many authentic Korean food. The Japanese side is not very authentic though all the ingredients are fresh, the atmosphere is nice for groups. Don't try to ask for wireless access, they refuse to let their customer access WiFi. Other than that, lunch is good deal but food is mediocre. I came here for dinner twice and thought it was overpriced for the quality. I'll suggest to stick to lunch.